No Ethernet device After Installing Updates

Good day to all:

I’d like to apologize in advance if this topic has been posted before, but I’ll give it a try.

I’m currently using SuSE 11.4 and after running the full online updates and restarting the machine as YAST suggested, I no longer have eth0/eth1 available.

I’m clueless about what to do since I’m kinda new to Linux and at the moment, I’m trying out all the distros before making a full commitment to anyone. So far, Ubuntu has been trouble-free from day one, but I’m willing to give this distro (opensuse) some slack.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

I can’t see what happened to your computer. Can you please post the result of typing in a console:

/sbin/ifconfig

/sbin/route -n

cat /etc/resolv.conf

You may also want to try to re-configure your network card with Yast and see if this helps.

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for your time.

This is what I got from what you suggested me:

/sbin/ifconfig
Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:340 (340.0 b) TX bytes:340 (340.0 b)

/sbin/route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo

cat /etc/resolv.conf

/etc/resolv.conf file autogenerated by netconfig!

Before you change this file manually, consider to define the

static DNS configuration using the following variables in the

/etc/sysconfig/network/config file:

NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SEARCHLIST

NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS

NETCONFIG_DNS_FORWARDER

or disable DNS configuration updates via netconfig by setting:

NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY=‘’

See also the netconfig(8) manual page and other documentation.

Note: Manual change of this file disables netconfig too, but

may get lost when this file contains comments or empty lines

only, the netconfig settings are same with settings in this

file and in case of a “netconfig update -f” call.

Please remove (at least) this line when you modify the file!

search site

What’s weird is that my eth0 was available before I installed this major update from YAST online update which took almost 4 hours to complete. After I restarted the machine, no internet, no network, nothing…

As a side note, my ethernet device is a Realtek RTL8139/810x (according to windows device manager).

:question:

Execute this command

/sbin/lspci -nnk

and post the lines concerning your ethernet card.

Maybe this will work (as root)

modprobe 8139too

Does ‘ifconfig’ then show that eth0 is present?

OK. This is what was reported according to what you suggested:

/sbin/lspci -nnk02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 02)
Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0283]

I also ran the modprobe command and this is what it says:

modprobe 8139too
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop/modules.dep: No such file or directory

modprobe 8111too
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop/modules.dep: No such file or directory

modprobe 8168too

And about ifconfig, this is what it says:

ifconfig
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:580 (580.0 b) TX bytes:580 (580.0 b)

Just to let you guys know, I’m running OpenSuSE 11.4 Live (Gnome) on a 4GB USB stick.

Thanks for your help.

/sbin/lspci -nnk02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 02)
Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0283]

AFAIU, the ‘r8168’ driver should be ok. (Although, I have seen reports that some 8168b chipsets require the ‘r8169’ driver instead. Maybe one of the gurus can answer this more definitively here.

If not present, use the software search tool to download the appropriate packages (including the appropriate kernel package):

software.opensuse.org: Search Results

software.opensuse.org: Search Results

Edit: This thread discussing a Dell machine with the same ethernet chipset, has an lspci entry showing that the r8169 driver is in use. So give that a go first.

Just in case: on one of my systems

lspci -nnk
02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 03)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. M4A785TD Motherboard [1043:83a3]
        Kernel driver in use: r8169

shows that this NIC should work with the r8169 driver. The only difference is “rev 02” (yours) against “rev 03” (mine). What happens when you try to activate the NIC in Yast?

Another thought. When I see:

it indicates that something with your modules installation is wrong. The file should really be there.

Thanks for your valuable help guys. When I have a little chance (since I’ve been kinda busy), I’ll download the driver for the realtek NIC and install it and see what happens.

And about the FATAL error, I’m clueless on how to solve that one. :frowning:

EDIT: Would I need to install ALL NIC devices on whichever machine I’ll be using? (I’m using a live distro on my USB drive)

And about the FATAL error, I’m clueless on how to solve that one.

My wild guess: try to re-install the kernel and reboot. This might help, but I’m not sure.

Could You post the contents of the /etc/sysconfig/network directory ?

You can do this with the following terminal command :

ls -la /etc/sysconfig/network

Best regards,
Greg

For some mysterious reason, my Live USB won’t boot anymore. :frowning:

Anyhow, it’s the second time this incident happened whenever I install all online updates through Yast. If I’m not wrong, I guess there’s a kernel update which seems to be crapping out my Live Gnome ethernet drivers. I might just avoid running Yast update at all costs or just install the necessary modules. :frowning:

It’s possible. To make sure You can taboo the kernel update or You can enable kernel multiversion in zypper config. That way instalation of a new kernel won’t erase the old one and You will have a choice of all the kernels. I don’t remember the name of the zypper config file and I’m not at my openSUSE at the moment but I’m sure You can find it somwhere in the forums. If not just say so here and I’ll post here the exact name of the file once I get to my system.

Best regards,
Greg