No e-mail notification

Since about 16 hours I do not receive any e-mail notfications from threads were new posts are added.

Am I the only one, or is this seen by others also?

No, not seeing email either here.

James

Thanks, while you seem to have the same I pinged Kim.

In the mean time, any further reports about this are welcome.

I now received one e-mail notification from a 17:55 MET new post.

That may show that it works again, but all the older e-mails were apparently lost.

I just wanted to open a topic with the same subject !
Emails stopped coming to me since a few days ago, not a single email notification for new replies ! I checked and double checked all subscription and even subscribed to a “hot topic” for testing but not a single email received.
Off-course I checked the Spam folder and they are not marked as spam or processed by filters.

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 14:56:02 +0000, robertot5 wrote:

> I just wanted to open a topic with the same subject !
> Emails stopped coming to me since a few days ago, not a single email
> notification for new replies ! I checked and double checked all
> subscription and even subscribed to a “hot topic” for testing but not a
> single email received.
> Off-course I checked the Spam folder and they are not marked as spam or
> processed by filters.

They’re still researching what’s gone wrong with this since the server
move - thanks for letting us know it’s not working for you.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I didn’t get any email notifications either, since the forum crash on Aug. 27th I think.

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 21:06:02 +0000, wolfi323 wrote:

> hendersj;2585725 Wrote:
>> They’re still researching what’s gone wrong with this since the server
>> move - thanks for letting us know it’s not working for you.
>>
> I didn’t get any email notifications either, since the forum crash on
> Aug. 27th I think.

I know that they’re still trying to sort this out - there are
notifications that I used to get (for reported posts) that aren’t coming
through. I think it may be that the mail server also changed and the
reverse lookup record isn’t right, but I know they’re still trying to
figure it out because some people get them and some don’t.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

just to add my name to the list . . .

I haven’t received any notifications for a few weeks now.
My setting is instant email notification.

Not getting email notifications either
Not good.

Once more no sense of urgency noted in how the persons who manage the underlying system that supports the forums deal with these issues.
I may have to attend a openSUSE board meeting and bring this issue up.
Maybe then we will see a sense of urgency in fixing a major interface in which people interact with openSUSE.
We need to NOT have things that discourage people in any way from using openSUSE and the support system for openSUSE.

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 15:26:02 +0000, FlameBait wrote:

> Not getting email notifications either Not good.
>
> Once more no sense of urgency noted in how the persons who manage the
> underlying system that supports the forums deal with these issues.
> I may have to attend a openSUSE board meeting and bring this issue up.
> Maybe then we will see a sense of urgency in fixing a major interface in
> which people interact with openSUSE.
> We need to NOT have things that discourage people in any way from using
> openSUSE and the support system for openSUSE.

Thanks for your feedback. I’ll pass it along. Like you, I’m a little
frustrated at the lack of progress on this issue. It’s not so much a
lack of a sense of urgency, I suspect, but overloaded people with
responsibility.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Still no notifications.

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 15:36:02 +0000, FlameBait wrote:

> Still no notifications.

Still aware of it, still waiting on the fix.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Jim you are on the board am I correct?
Why do you seem so kicked back about this email notification situation?
It’s issues like this board members should address because it is a priority item.
People could come here and expect a notification with help on some trivial item and not get an answer and just say that openSUSE is no good because they don’t get an answer.
openSUSE depends on SUSE too much if this stuff can’t get fixed quickly.
If SUSE doesn’t have the manpower or the contracted services provider doesn’t have the manpower it’s time to break this dependency and move to something openSUSE can exert more control over and where people will have a sense of immediacy over this items.

Sorry I am coming off so harsh but I really want openSUSE to grow and flourish not slowly wither from stuff that should not be so complicated it can’t be quickly fixed like the way it’s currently set up.

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 17:56:02 +0000, FlameBait wrote:

> Jim you are on the board am I correct?

I am not on the openSUSE board, no.

> Why do you seem so kicked back about this email notification situation?

Because I do not have access to the hardware, and I’ve pushed all the
people I can push. You think I enjoy not being able to get things
fixed?

Please start with the assumption that I’m as frustrated as you are, and
that I have done everything that I could to get the issue resumed,
instead of assuming that I just don’t care enough to get it fixed.

> Sorry I am coming off so harsh but I really want openSUSE to grow and
> flourish not slowly wither from stuff that should not be so complicated
> it can’t be quickly fixed like the way it’s currently set up.

You and I want the same thing.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

FlameBait wrote:
>
> Jim you are on the board am I correct?
> Why do you seem so kicked back about this email notification situation?
> It’s issues like this board members should address because it is a
> priority item.
> People could come here and expect a notification with help on some
> trivial item and not get an answer and just say that openSUSE is no good
> because they don’t get an answer.
> openSUSE depends on SUSE too much if this stuff can’t get fixed quickly.
> If SUSE doesn’t have the manpower or the contracted services provider
> doesn’t have the manpower it’s time to break this dependency and move to
> something openSUSE can exert more control over and where people will
> have a sense of immediacy over this items.
>
> Sorry I am coming off so harsh but I really want openSUSE to grow and
> flourish not slowly wither from stuff that should not be so complicated
> it can’t be quickly fixed like the way it’s currently set up.
>
>
No use blowing your steam off here.

Generally, here is how IT support works:-

If forums down are down then it is critical issue. It will be fixed
immediately and maximum effort will be put in .

Notification not appearing is “low” priority issue. Will be fixed on
convenience basis. You even have a “work around” for this issue and
hence the issue is considered a cosmetic issue.

“The above cases are true in cases of even paid support”

In case of openSUSE forums, if IT support for forums is done on a
voluntary basis then it will take some time to get it fixed.


GNOME 3.6.2
openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

On 2013-10-01 19:56, FlameBait wrote:
> Jim you are on the board am I correct?

The moderators (staff) do not have access to the hardware. They are not,
as far as I know, SUSE/Novell employees, so they don’t have access to
the premisses and can not do “things” like solving those problems.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

On 2013-10-02 04:31, vazhavandan wrote:

> In case of openSUSE forums, if IT support for forums is done on a
> voluntary basis then it will take some time to get it fixed.

Perhaps SUSE should consider that the forums deserve dedicated paid
staffers.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 02:43:06 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2013-10-01 19:56, FlameBait wrote:
>> Jim you are on the board am I correct?
>
> The moderators (staff) do not have access to the hardware. They are not,
> as far as I know, SUSE/Novell employees, so they don’t have access to
> the premisses and can not do “things” like solving those problems.

And even those on the premises don’t have access - there’s an IT
department that has to make the changes. So even if I was an employee
there, I wouldn’t be given access to the systems directly.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 02:43:07 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2013-10-02 04:31, vazhavandan wrote:
>
>> In case of openSUSE forums, if IT support for forums is done on a
>> voluntary basis then it will take some time to get it fixed.
>
> Perhaps SUSE should consider that the forums deserve dedicated paid
> staffers.

It’s not as simple as that. The hardware has to go somewhere, and for
SUSE, that’s the data center - where it’s backed up, managed, and the
hardware is under a support contract.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C