No driver for R8168 ethernet card in livecd and installed environment (because make is missing)

Hello,

I have a gigabyte motherboard with the realtek r8168 ethernet controller. This card has a problem working with the r8169 driver which is usually found in all modern linux distributions.

I have solved this problem in Arch Linux (and it can be similarly solved for other distributions), by downloading the source code for the r8168 driver from the Realtek website, and then compiling it against my linux kernel headers (these sources have a script which does everything automatically). The problem is that in openSUSE, the script does not run, because it cannot find the ‘make’ command. But how am I to install ‘make’, if my machine has no network access in the first place?

I think I should download some rpm package containing ‘make’ (and gcc, and everything else needed, how do I know what else?), but I don’t know how exactly. I went to the opensuse build service website, but I cannot search for opensuse 12.1, which is the version I have.

On 2011-10-29 02:06, vega88 wrote:

> The problem is that in openSUSE, the script does not
> run, because it cannot find the ‘make’ command. But how am I to install
> ‘make’, if my machine has no network access in the first place?

That’s because you have installed the CD version. The DVD version does have
make. You will also need the kernel sources.

> I think I should download some rpm package containing ‘make’ (and gcc,
> and everything else needed, how do I know what else?), but I don’t know
> how exactly. I went to the opensuse build service website, but I cannot
> search for opensuse 12.1, which is the version I have.

12.1 is beta still, and those rpms you need are in the standard OSS repo.

http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/oss/

Being a beta, you can also open a bugzilla so that the devs have a chance
to include that driver in the release.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Thank you for your answer.

I went over to file a bug, but I found an already existing one: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=709886

It seems that this is considered a kernel bug, the same for all distributions, so openSUSE developers do not intend to ship realtek’s module. So I will have to compile my own module.