No boot screen (black) after upgrade

Hello,

Since my upgrade to 42.2, I have no boot splash anymore: it’s a complete black screen until the KDE splash screen appears. No ESC, F1 or F2 will work to show verbose mode.

quentin@linux-2xm4:~> /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R6 Graphics] [1002:130a]
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:221c]
Kernel driver in use: radeon

How can I fix this?

how did you upgrade from a dvd/usb or on the fly with zypper?
post your repo list

zypper lr -d

I upgraded on a running system with zypper dup.

However, the problem does not occur anymore. I have figured out that I had the fglrx driver before the upgrade and that it was missing after the upgrade. What I did:

1. reinstalled fglrx drivers and rebooted -> could not start X because of some fglrx driver issues
  2. removed the drivers for proper uninstallation and rebooted -> proper booting with plymouth but with the ??? bug
  3. after some reboots, ??? got replaced by the proposer theme

So, in the end, it works, although I cannot explain how the ??? plymouth screen got fixed. I understand that fglrx driver will not work on Leap 42.2 anymore.

Actually, this issue has not been resolved. It turns out to have quite randoom behavior. Each time that I boot, I get one of the three scenarios:

1. black screen until KDE splash
  2. the three question marks in green
  3. the regular splash screen that I would like to systematically see instead of the above two

How can we further diagnose the root cause? On a side note, I am running from an USB drive (but it did not affect my Leap 42.1 boot splash before the upgrade).

I’ve seen that too sometime I get the graphic and sometime the text and some times just black seems to be related updates and if a kernel is updated, But it is just eye candy and I don’t really pay any attention :wink:

It’s a Plymouth issue, possibly an AMD-only issue, in my case possibly a dying Hybrid 1TB Hard-Drive (SMART End-to-End errors).
It’s been reported with Bug 1008489 “Leap 42.2 RC2 - Plymouth dumps core during booting”.