No app icons in the tray since Plasma 5.18

Hi all,
since the update to Plasma 5.18 I do not see application icons in the tray.
I do have applets visible in the tray, but all applications that show icons in the tray (e.g. Telegram desktop, RedNotebook, Wavebox, Remmina, ecc.) are completely gone.
Sometimes they do show for a split second, only to disappear immediately after. They are not visible even after expanding the tray to show hidden icons.
I tried to kill and restart xembedsniproxy, without success.
When restarting xembedsniproxy, however, I get this:

kde.xembedsniproxy: could not register SNI: "The name org.kde.StatusNotifierWatcher was not provided by any .service files"
kde.xembedsniproxy: could not register SNI: "The name org.kde.StatusNotifierWatcher was not provided by any .service files"
Container window visible, stack below

Anybody else? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance
Cris

I tried to install stalonetray (a stand-alone freedesktop and KDE compatible tray implementation), but it show as empty.
Whenever I start an application which is supposed tohave an icon in the tray, I get lots of messages like this:

X11 error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) (request: X_QueryTree, resource 0xf)
X11 error 3 detected at kde_tray.c:153:kde_tray_find_icon

I tried by deleting ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc but it didn’t solve the problem, either.
Whenever I change something in the configuration of the panel, the icons show for a split second, only to disappear right after.

You may need to logout from Plasma first and delete the file using a virtual console.

Hi karlmistelberger

That is exactly what I did, unfortunately.
I may have to try again with ~/.config/plasmarc and ~/.config/plasmashellrc :frowning:

No, it is not something related to the settings of plasma, as I have tried with a new user and the problem is still there.
I have also noticed a lot of small other problems, like the CTRL-ESC shortcut not working anymore (but it is correctly configured in global shortcuts), or the display configuration applet not doing anything.
I have found another user having more or less the same problems, although on ArchLinux, after upgrading to plasma 5.18.
I do not have this problems on my other Tumbleweed computer, so it must have to do with some mismatched package, I think.
What do you think?

Thank you in advance
Cris

Could be related to the list of repos, packages installed from the wrong repo and many more. Minimized annoyances of this kind by using priorities:

erlangen:~ # zypper lr -uEP
#  | Alias               | Name                                           | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | Priority | URI                                                                            
---+---------------------+------------------------------------------------+---------+-----------+---------+----------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 3 | Packman             | Packman                                        | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   90     | http://ftp.fau.de/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/                            
** 8 | openSUSE-20191106-0 | openSUSE-20191106-0                            | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/                              
11 | repo-non-oss        | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Non-Oss                    | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/non-oss/                          
13 | repo-update         | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Update                     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | http://download.opensuse.org/update/tumbleweed/                                
** 1 | Application_Geo     | Application_Geo                                | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |  100     | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Application:/Geo/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/
 2 | BellSoft            | BellSoft Repository                            | Yes     | ( p) Yes  | Yes     |  100     | http://yum.bell-sw.com/                                                        
 5 | home_X0F_HSF        | Hackeurs Sans Frontières (openSUSE_Tumbleweed) | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |  100     | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/X0F:/HSF/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/  
 6 | jalbum              | jalbum                                         | Yes     | (  ) No   | Yes     |  100     | http://jalbum.net/download/software/yumrepo/                                   
 7 | myrepo              | myrepo                                         | Yes     | (  ) No   | Yes     |  100     | dir:/home/karl/Downloads/myrepo                                                
 9 | opensuse-guide.org  | libdvdcss repository                           | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |  100     | http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/                            
erlangen:~ # 
erlangen:~ # zypper dup --allow-vendor-change --auto-agree-with-licenses  --allow-downgrade 
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this command.
Computing distribution upgrade...

Nothing to do.

Again thank you karlmistelberger.
Actually, I’m already using priorities to manage my repositories.
BTW thank you for sending me your configuration, it may help me to be sure I’m doing things the right way.
I’ll also try comparing my two Tumbleweed systems to see if I can shed some light on these mysterious problems.

Cris

I normally use Leap on my desktop. But I did try booting up Tumbleweed (with Plasma 5.18).

I then started “gapcmon”. And it is happily running, with its icon (actually two icons) in the tray.

Thank you for taking the time to try it nrickert!

Cris

I think I’ve found the problem, thanks to the ArchLinux user having my same problem!!
Long story short: kded5 is crashing with a segmentation fault.

The ArchLinux user fixed his problem updating from plasma-framework 5.67.0-1 → 5.67.0-2, but we still don’t have that release available.
And BTW I’m not even sure that we will have it, as IIRC those release numbers after the dash are indicating a distribution (not upstream) release, isn’t it? So I should not expect openSUSE to have the same release number and/or to have the same set of fixes if that release number does land in openSUSE.
Or am I completely wrong here?
And, if I’m right, could someone be so nice to look into the fixes that were implemented by Arch Linux and port them here too? I’m afraid I’m not knowledgeable enough to do it.

BTW here is the output from trying to start kded5:

~>  kded5
org.kde.wacomtablet.common: d->name.isEmpty? true
org.kde.wacomtablet.common: d->name.isEmpty? true
bluedevil: Created
org.kde.libkbolt: Failed to connect to Bolt manager DBus interface: 
org.kde.bolt.kded: Couldn't connect to Bolt DBus daemon
Installing the delayed initialization callback.
print-manager.kded: unable to register service to dbus
kcm_touchpad: Using X11 backend
Width:  1794  height:  1190
Approx. resX:  19  resY:  23
Touchpad resolution: x:  20  y:  20
Final resolution x: 20  y: 20
Delayed initialization.
Reloading the khotkeys configuration
Version 2 File!
true
Imported file "/usr/share/khotkeys/konsole.khotkeys"
Imported file "/usr/share/khotkeys/defaults.khotkeys"
Imported file "/usr/share/khotkeys/kde32b1.khotkeys"
Imported file "/usr/share/khotkeys/konqueror_gestures_kde321.khotkeys"
Registering ":1.98/StatusNotifierItem" to system tray
Registering "org.kde.StatusNotifierItem-2947-1/StatusNotifierItem" to system tray
Registering "org.kde.StatusNotifierHost-2765" as system tray
Registering ":1.130/org/ayatana/NotificationItem/remmina_icon" to system tray
Registering ":1.31/org/ayatana/NotificationItem/Upwork1" to system tray
Registering ":1.126/org/ayatana/NotificationItem/dropbox_client_4885" to system tray
bluedevil: Bluetooth operational changed true
bluedevil: ObexManager operational changed true
bluedevil: Agent registered
bluedevil: Requested default Agent
bluedevil: ObexAgent registered
plasma-nm: unlockRequired ==  2
QSharedPointer: cannot create a QSharedPointer from a QObject-tracking QWeakPointer
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/bin/kded5 from kdeinit
sock_file=/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0
KCrash: Application 'kded5' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 7 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 13 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 31 and type 'Read', disabling...

[1]+  Fermato                 kded5

And after a while I get (some of it is Italian, sorry):

Unable to start Dr. Konqi
Re-raising signal for core dump handling.

[1]+  Errore di segmentazione (core dump creato) kded5

Last message translates as “Segmentation error (core dump created) kded5”.

Thank you in advance!
Cris

Yes, that is probably a change made by Arch, and not a change from kde.org.

Could be a configuration problem:

erlangen:~ # rpmconfigcheck 
Searching for unresolved configuration files
erlangen:~ # rpm -V plasma5-defaults-openSUSE

Just tried that:

 amended hostname  **cristiano ** **~ ** sudo rpmconfigcheck
Searching for unresolved configuration files
  amended hostname  **cristiano ** **~ ** rpm -V plasma5-defaults-openSUSE
  amended hostname  **cristiano ** **~ ** sudo rpm -V plasma5-defaults-openSUSE
  amended hostname  **cristiano ** **~ **

Replying to myself just to say that snapshot 20200222 fixed the problem for me.
Hope this can help someone else.

Cris