NM Connection Editor - mobile broadband set-up fails

I am running a clean install of LEAP 42.1 (KDE5) on an HP Pavilion 11TS netbook, It was straight forward to set up ethernet, wifi and openVPN connections using the NM Connection Editor.

However, I can’t set up a mobile broadband connection. The Connection Editor wizard runs and, after collecting the required data, opens the Edit screen to finalise the set-up. But the OK button on this screen is greyed out and inactive, making it impossible to accept the settings and establish the connection.

When setting up an openVPN connection, an “authorization required” pop-up appears when the Connection Editor is invoked, and the OK button is greyed out until authorization is given. However, there is no authorisation required" popup displayed when setting up the mobile broadband.

Running Connection Editor as root (kdesu) doesn’t activate the OK button either.

The broadband modem is a USB dongle and worked well on this machine with Tumbleweed, and even openSUSE 13.2. It is recognized by Modem Manager and can be activated manually from the command line.

grb@pippin:~> mmcli -L

Found 1 modems:
         /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/2 [QUALCOMM INCORPORATED] 8

grb@pippin:~> mmcli -m 2 --simple-connect="apn=telstra.internet"
 successfully connected the modem

So it appears this is not a hardware problem nor an issue with ModemManager. More likely there is either a bug in Connection Editor that prevents the “authorization required” pop-up from being called or there is a permissions problem that causes a similar effect.

I am using packages from the standard repos as below

grb@pippin:~> sudo zypper se -si plasma-nm5 NetworkManager
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

S | Name                        | Type    | Version     | Arch   | Repository             
--+-----------------------------+---------+-------------+--------+------------------------
i | NetworkManager              | package | 1.0.6-1.2   | x86_64 | Main Repository (OSS)  
i | NetworkManager-lang         | package | 1.0.6-1.2   | noarch | Main Repository (OSS)  
i | NetworkManager-openvpn      | package | 1.0.6-3.1   | x86_64 | Update Repository (OSS)
i | NetworkManager-openvpn-lang | package | 1.0.6-3.1   | noarch | Update Repository (OSS)
i | NetworkManager-pptp         | package | 1.0.6-1.1   | x86_64 | Main Repository (OSS)  
i | NetworkManager-pptp-lang    | package | 1.0.6-1.1   | noarch | Main Repository (OSS)  
i | NetworkManager-vpnc         | package | 1.0.6-1.2   | x86_64 | Main Repository (OSS)  
i | NetworkManager-vpnc-lang    | package | 1.0.6-1.2   | noarch | Main Repository (OSS)  
i | libKF5NetworkManagerQt6     | package | 5.16.0-3.1  | x86_64 | Update Repository (OSS)
i | libproxy1-networkmanager    | package | 0.4.11-13.2 | x86_64 | Main Repository (OSS)  
i | plasma-nm5                  | package | 5.4.3-3.2   | x86_64 | Update Repository (OSS)
i | plasma-nm5-lang             | package | 5.4.3-3.2   | noarch | Update Repository (OSS)
i | plasma-nm5-openvpn          | package | 5.4.3-3.2   | x86_64 | Update Repository (OSS)
i | plasma-nm5-pptp             | package | 5.4.3-3.2   | x86_64 | Update Repository (OSS)
i | plasma-nm5-vpnc             | package | 5.4.3-3.2   | x86_64 | Update Repository (OSS)

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this issue or has any suggestions that may help.

I don’t have the problem but an idea to test. I’m guessing you are using KDE (correct me if I’m wrong). You may want to try use a different desktop like Gnome or XFCE because then you will be using different NM manager applet. That applet might not have the problem you are running into.

Agreed but I have a preference for the KDE desktop so I will hold off installing the full Gnome desktop for the moment.

I will try using a more recent version of plasma-nm5 from one of the unstable repos and, if that doesn’t help, I think I can use the Gnome equivalent of the connection editor under KDE.

It would be interesting if someone running KDE5 on Leap 42.1 tried to set up a broadband modem with the Connection Editor to see if they have the same problem (you don’t need a modem to go through the set-up procedure.

Thanks for your reply.

Graeme

I updated plasma-nm5 to version 5.5.4 from the KDE:Frameworks5 repo and the problem went away.

grb@pippin:~> sudo zypper se -is plasma-nm5
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

S | Name               | Type    | Version    | Arch   | Repository     
--+--------------------+---------+------------+--------+----------------
i | plasma-nm5         | package | 5.5.4-93.4 | x86_64 | KDE:Frameworks5
i | plasma-nm5-lang    | package | 5.5.4-93.4 | noarch | KDE:Frameworks5
i | plasma-nm5-openvpn | package | 5.5.4-93.4 | x86_64 | KDE:Frameworks5
i | plasma-nm5-pptp    | package | 5.5.4-93.4 | x86_64 | KDE:Frameworks5
i | plasma-nm5-vpnc    | package | 5.5.4-93.4 | x86_64 | KDE:Frameworks5

The applet seems to be missing a WWAN icon but that’s a minor issue.

Graeme

Late to the thread, but a quick check with attempting to create a mobile broadband connection verified the same problem as you’ve described. Good to know that upgrading plasma-nm5 helped here.

Yeah thanks a lot for sharing as I plan to use plasma5 in the future once most of this stuff irons out :slight_smile: