Newest kernel update + Ati Drivers = broken

So updating the kernel makes the ati driver mess up your system because it was not made for the new kernel. It’s not the first time it happens to me in Suse so I’m not all clueless as to how to solve the problem. I’m installing the latest drivers manually by following this beautiful tutorial: ATI - openSUSE

Yes, I’m doing it “the hard way.” But I’ve always managed to make it work the hardway, except now, when I use the command

rpm -Uvh fgl*.rpm

It gives me the following error message:

No target specified and no makefile found

I realize the tutorial is not for Opensuse 11.1 But it worked just fine in 11.0 and I know (most) of the little details you need to change in the commands to make it work. So… anybody knows what the problem is?

BTW, the commands to prepare the kernel for making the driver- “Make mrproper” - and such, ask me for more info than just that command. So I skipped it as it says it’s not necessary. Thanks in advanced, guys.

heres what i use to get the ati drivers to work hope it helps

1. Download the driver installer from ATI.

2. Run the installer, don’t choose custom, agree to everything.

3. Log out, and Switch to the first terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1)

4. Login as root.

5. run init 3 to switch to commandline linux with no Xwindows.

init 3

1. Check the X session (Ctrl+Alt+F7) and make sure the login page isn’t there. If it is, Sax2 will fail. If this happens, reboot, switch to Ctrl+Alt+F1, login as root again and run init 3

2. Init 3 will hang on “init 3 has been …”. Just hit enter and it will return your # prompt.

3. move your existing xorg.conf file to a backup.

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-001

The reason you do this is to get rid of your existing X configuration file. Don’t worry, you will be creating a new one soon.

1. Generate a new xorg.conf for ATI radeon by running:

sax2 -r -m 0=radeon

if you are using NVIDIA, check the NVIDIA instructions for the specific set. If Sax2 says it can’t access the display, check the X session (Ctrl+Alt+F7) Is it still running? Did you run init 6? Did you reboot? If you need to reboot again at this point (I did) you will get a ton of errors about gdm, X, etc. Ignore them. Login as root, init 3, carry on.

1. Now that there is a new xorg.conf, run

aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

This adds the specific ati schmeck to the xorg.conf file. I don’t think you have to do anything in this step for nVidia, but I will test it at home on problematic XPC box.

1. Now run:

sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx

This tells Sax2 you want to use the cool 3d schmeck.

1. REBOOT!

Thank you! I will try that as soon as I can.

It told me the mv/etc/X11/xorg.conf is needing another argument. One that tells it where to move it. And I don’t think sax2 -r -m 0=radeon installs the driver I build. Shouldn’t it be " rpm -Uvh fgl*.rpm " ? I think there’s some stuff missing in your instructions. I’ll keep trying tonight.

You don’t have to mv xorg.conf, but making a copy before installing the new driver makes sense fo have a fallback if something goes wrong.

su -c "cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.some_backupname_YOU_can_remember_later"

Every time it has messed up I just type “yast” in the CLI and tell it to install the mesa drivers. I have deleted the xorg.conf to make sure it starts from zero when installing the drivers and configures everything but the thing is it keeps telling me that message that says : “No target specified and no makefile found .” Anybody knows why that happens?