I don’t if these are bugs, problems with KDE 3.14159264, faults of my own making, or a mix of all of the above. Even though I’m just testing the RC before the gold release, if I can get these fixed early, that will make the installation of the final version so much smoother.
First, wireless networking. I’ve just got a new XP Pro box and a new Vista HP laptop. The desktop is wired, the laptop wireless. After a bit of playing around, installing LLT on the XP box etc., they now play nice together. Not so when the desktop is booted into RC1. Below is a text of an email I sent to the opensuse mailing list:
I am not only new to wireless, I’m new to having more than one PC, so I
hope you’ll bear with me. I copied this from the hardware info report:
25: PCI 07.0: 0200 Ethernet controller
[Created at pci.310]
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:00:07.0
Hardware Class: network
Model: “nVidia MCP61 Ethernet”
Vendor: pci 0x10de “nVidia Corporation”
Device: pci 0x03ef “MCP61 Ethernet”
and if that’s not the relevant information, I took a screenshot and posted it here:
I must confess that I don’t know if the PC is set as an access point, but I guess it is. The config page for my Belkin wireless router says that the router is not set as an access point, if that helps. I have a DSL modem connected to the wireless router, if the cabling is anything to go by. I apologise for my shocking ignorance, but as I have only one fully functioning hand, I tend to leave hardware configuration to paid tech providers. My local need a nerd came in, setup the wireless and helped me through getting my XP Pro desktop and Vista HP laptop talking to each other, and left.
Even though I am profoundly ignorant in this, I am a reasonably quick study, able to follow instructions and unafraid of the CLI. Just getting the Vista laptop to see the XP Pro desktop required a bit of CLI work in XP to enablle LLT, so I’m quite ready to tinker with my Suse setup to get it working, or at least broaden my knowledge in the process of trying.