[Newbie - OpenSuse Gnome 11.0] Fail to Boot after Updates

Greetings,

I’m a newbie to the Linux scene, my buddy recommended OpenSuse - so here I am.

I’m having an issue with booting after performing automatic updates. (I’m assuming after a Kernal update.) After the updates, I restart. When Grub pops up, I select the new Kernal version of OpenSuse, however it errors out and spits out some error information about being unable to mount the partition.

Now, on a fresh install from the CD (openSUSE-11.0-GNOME-LiveCD-i386.iso) Grub works great, everything loads correctly. However, it only errors out after updating (the kernal?) and gives me new selections on Grub. (Rather than just having OpenSuse 11.0, it’s OpenSuse 11.0 x.xx.xx or whatever.)

Now, I’m not sure if this is an easy fix or not. Perhaps it’s due to me running a SATA/IDE setup. (My windows drive is the SATA, my SuSe drive is my IDE.) I know Ubuntu had an issue with a SATA/IDE setup. Perhaps it’s just an issue with my Grub settings pointing to partitions? I have no idea how to fix this, either. >:(

Anyway, if someone understands my issue through all my ramblings, I’d appreciate any help you can offer.

Howdie!
I very much doubt it has anything to do with your SATA drive(s). The additional numbers xx.xx.xx you’re seeing at boot are probably just the kernel versions. IIRC, a kernel update usually installs a new boot option, but still leaves you an operational previous kernel just in case. Does the previous kernel still boot as usual? If it does, you should just set it as the default for the time being and wait for the situation to eventually fix itself when a newer kernel is released - you can probably even force your system to retain the working kernel until another working update comes along.
Could you please post your entire menu.lst file (it’s located in /boot/grub of your SuSE drive) so we can potentially see what’s gone wrong?

I actually managed to fix it. lol!

After reinstalling about 10 times already, I was tired of it. So, I rebooted… tried to get into Suse again. Same error.

So, I tried to edit from the grub screen. All I had to do was change the root (hd0,1) line to root (hd1,1) to get it back to the drive it’s actually on.

Now, doing this alone didn’t save it, as I found out later. After finally getting back into the OS, I went to the boot loader config and had to add the (hd1,1) to the beginning of the paths listed.

Now all is well.

Good for you. Glad you fixed it.:slight_smile: