Newbee : Setting up workgroup to share files between two OpenSUSE KDE desktops ?? Need a beginners

I just came off a XP machine, that most I ever needed to know to get to sharing was join a Work group and right click folders and choose the share option,

But now Im stumped - I don’t know anything about networking in OpenSUSE

I searched and can’t find anything ( that I can understand) that would show me (a beginner) how to share files from one OpenSuSE to the Other-

I found this Tutorial on how to Samba to XP

is there one there a Tutorial somewhere that’s just as easy to understand as that one for Sharing inside of a work group with 2 or 3 OpenSUSE KDE systems?

much appreciation…thanks

In KDE you can share folders just as easy as in Windows XP by right-clicking and choosing “Properties…”:
Easy folder sharing in KDE 4.4 -

Samba should already be installed by default.

You can browse to a share by just entering \HOST\SHARE in Konqueror or dolphin (like in windows).
\ will show a list of all hosts, \HOST all shares of a host.

Or do it the Linux way (this also works in Firefox f.e.), by using “smb://” instead of “\”.

HOST can be a host’s name or an IP-Address.

I use ssh
But it’s not so easy to setup

Some stuff I found
openSUSE 12.3: Chapter 12. SSH: Secure Network Operations

This is older
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configure_openSSH

thanks for the quick reply’s guys,
the right click and share is ok but not showing up on other systems network list in dolphin…that could be because of how that system is not set up right too…
i tryed to find where to put the \HOST\SHARE you said in dolphin and didnt see any place to type that

I did find this little KDE helper app that shows allot of promise and ease of use…I found it available doing a YaST search for " Smb4K

going to try that here after lunch -

In the Location Bar, see here: Dolphin/File Management - KDE UserBase Wiki

There is also a classical location bar which displays the complete path. To use this style you can right click on the Location Bar and select Show Full Path. If you want the Location bar to become editable, trigger the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + L or select ** Control -> Location Bar -> Editable Location **. By clicking on the free space next to the last displayed folder in the breadcrumb style you can switch to an editable Location Bar as well. If the editable style is selected a checkmark is displayed at the end of the location bar. This checkmark is a button which can be used to change back to the breadcrumb style. Of course menu and keyboard shortcut can be used, too.

Or just press Alt+F2 to open KRunner and type it in there.

I did find this little KDE helper app that shows allot of promise and ease of use…I found it available doing a YaST search for " Smb4K

going to try that here after lunch -

Yeah, I wanted to suggest that one as well. With this you can also mount shares and access it like local drives.

Is there a Windows machine involved in your network?
If there isn’t (only the “2 openSUSE” machines you described), then it might be easier to just not do SMB/CIFS/SAMBA,

Instead, try
FTP (with the YAST FTP applet for simple and quick management and configuration).
SSH
SCP

If you are willing to go through the trouble (or need to deploy anyway) a webserver, then you can also configure “web shares.”

IMO,
TSU

With all due respect to other posters I fear some may have lost touch with their inner noob and forgotten how hard it was to plunge into networking in Linux with no familiarity with much of the terminology the poster will soon come to use with ease.

Having said that, I recall that, when I was in the same position some years ago, my learning curve was considerably easier once I’d found Swerdna’s excellent tutorial at Samba and Suse: HowTo Set up an openSUSE-Windows Home Office LAN/Network. Versions 11.x The page is no longer updated and may be a little out of date, but not so much so that it should cause any problems. If there’s not going to be anny need to incorporate windows PCs into the LAN you can just ignore the paragraphs on that, but I remember that I ended up being very glad I’d used Samba when, not much later on. I needed to hook up a Windows PC every now and then after all.

Re: Samba

https://forums.opensuse.org/content/155-sact-samba-automated-configuration-tool-version-1-20.html

One thing I forgot to mention:
For Samba to work you have to correctly configure the Firewall on each host.
Try disabling it in YaST->Security and Users->Firewall.
If that helps you can enable it again and just open the Samba ports. The easiest way to do that would be YaST->Network Services->Samba Server, I guess. Just switch to the “Start-Up” tab and click on “Open Port in Firewall”.

Which is why I generally avoid SAMBA.
SAMBA is complex enough to setup you have to follow a guide like swerdna’s.
Whenever a new machine is added to your network, a number of prerequisites need to be setup (well, generally speaking. There are ways around the following) like WORKGROUP names, authentication, sometimes even SMB versions.

With the “UNIX-Y” methods, setup is usually less complex and “just work.” If configurable with YAST, then no “guide” should be necessary, just follow the step by step “wizards.”

Eg If you run anonymous FTP (only behind a firewall on a private network), you can often setup FTP for anonymous access in less than 5 minutes (much of that is simple installation). Switch it on and off using YAST. Need to serve different files? - Just use YAST to point to your directory of choice and restart the service. The Client never changes its config. And, you can use a number of clients to connect (AFAIK Dolphin), Filezilla, web browser, CLI, etc.

The other apps/protocols I listed are sometimes even more easy to use but don’t necessarily support the metaphor of a restricted space like “Shares.”

TSU

the Smbk4 KDE APP was what I ended up using to network shares for now…
you guys are awesome!!!:slight_smile:

I foundthis pageworked allot with my kind of thinking…its how i got to where im at now…
along with the great people on this forum…

thanks Guys!!

3 cheers and a beer!!!

Im here looking at troubleshooting

Disable FGLRX

If, after having installed FGLRX, you find that X is unable to start. This procedure describes the process of re-enabling the open source radeon driver.
edit] Blacklist

One of the first things fglrx does to ensure that radeon doesn’t interfere with it is it blacklists the radeon module so that the kernel doesn’t load it while booting.

# rm /etc/modprobe.d/fglrx.conf

What I don’t get is where to even type that – at grub boot screen???

I dont know…is that even a fix? its not specific to saying to even type that…to fix…or…whats that code for?

Don’t do that, you only create a mess here in the forums.

Let’s follow your gfx issues in the other thread!
https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/hardware/488573-reinstalling-graphic-driver-made-screen-unreadable-login-after-restart-how-get-fix.html