Newb - virtualbox failed during 13.1 install

Well, IMHO this is actually off-topic in this thread, but well.

It’s quite important that the guest editions .iso file, which is installed along with VB within the same directory, to be installed into the guest, is at the same version level as your openSUSE host VB.

No. The guest additions do not have to match the VB version.

Btw, the openSUSE virtualbox package does not include any ISO, it will be downloaded on demand when you select “Devices”->“Install guest additions”.

You configure the Host CD/DVD drive to attach directly to the .iso file. You will then run the appropriate (in your case .exe) installer contained in the .iso, from within the guest operating system.

That’s of course another possibility to do this.
But if you are using the openSUSE packages you have to download the Guest Additions ISO yourself from virtualbox.org to do it that way.

Oh. Yes. I somehow got confused…

Well, the new question has nothing to do with the original one any more, so it might still make sense to open a new thread in the appropriate forum.
But well, I don’t really mind.

PS. Unless of course you run into a new problem that you cannot solve, then you would be better off moving to Virtualization forum. :slight_smile:

It did matter at one time, maybe not any longer. It’s either that, or they recommend you have the latest guest additions.

In any case, earler today I received a warning message about a risk during the installation of guest additions, that it already contained an older version of guest additions (actually pre-installed by the guest OS), and gave me the choice to remove/keep the old version. I took the risk for removal, and the newer version built without further issue. So the Virtualbox developers do take the precaution.

Well, I suppose not every guest additions version will work with any host version.

But the 4.3.12 (i.e. latest) guest additions should work fine in VB 4.2.18.

The corresponding interface is (and has to be IMHO) quite stable/compatible (at least in recent times, no idea how compatible versions 1, 2, and 3 have been to each others in this regards…), otherwise you couldn’t use (maybe even boot in the worst case) an openSUSE LiveCD in the latest VirtualBox version f.e.

And it wouldn’t really be nice to have all your VMs stop working after updating VirtualBox… :wink:

As I just tried it last weekend, the guest additions of openSUSE 11.4 f.e. (which included virtualbox 4.0.4) do work fine in VirtualBox 4.2.18, at least the graphics driver, but I haven’t tried shared folders explicitely.

In any case, earler today I received a warning message about a risk during the installation of guest additions, that it already contained an older version of guest additions (actually pre-installed by the guest OS), and gave me the choice to remove/keep the old version. I took the risk for removal, and the newer version built without further issue. So the Virtualbox developers do take the precaution.

Build?
IIRC the Windows guest additions don’t have to be build. So whether they can be build with/without issues doesn’t really matter here… :wink:

Was your warning about possibly not being able to build the additions? Or that the new ones might not work with that guest OS? Both of those cases would have nothing to do with the question whether the guest additions have to be the same version as the VB host or not.
Or did it rather warn you that the new guest additions version might be incompatible with your VirtualBox version? (I thought you’re using the latest version anyway…)

In any case, I would find it normal to warn about an already installed version though, instead of silently overwriting it.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion.

Thanks for the instructions. I got everything working.

Mike

Hm?
You’re not interrupting any discussion, and don’t have to be sorry! lol!
This is your thread anyway, opened by you to get help.

I apologize for not recognizing that you started the thread, I was replying to other threads in the meantime and got confused… (it was quite late here already as well)

Thanks for the instructions. I got everything working.

Good to hear. :slight_smile:

Fine, and the interfaces are up to it as commented on in the manual, which also goes on to say “it is recommended to keep the Guest Additions at the same version” (meaning wrt the host).

Build?

I wasn’t referring to a Windows guest re the error I was trying to remember. The preceding discussion wasn’t either (hence your previous quote). Anyway it was very late here, and I was probably thinking of this at the time:

“1. Before installing the Guest Additions, you will have to prepare your guest system for building external kernel modules. This works similarly as described in Section 2.3.2, “The VirtualBox kernel module”, except that this step must now be performed in your Linux guest instead of on a Linux host system, as described there.”

IIRC the Windows guest additions don’t have to be build. So whether they can be build with/without issues doesn’t really matter here… :wink:

Yes, just installed, and probably less likely to present an issue, although I haven’t virtualized Windows for many a year.

Was your warning about possibly not being able to build the additions? Or…

I think it was more about the removal, but don’t recall the actual risk case now. If I find a logged message…

Or did it rather warn you that the new guest additions version might be incompatible with your VirtualBox version? (I thought you’re using the latest version anyway…)

Using latest version, so not that.

However this para in the manual probably influenced my thoughts, and action to remove those already installed in the guest, and warning, note the last sentence there:

Note that some Linux distributions already come with all or part of the VirtualBox Guest Additions. You may choose to keep the distribution’s version of the Guest Additions but these are often not up to date and limited in functionality, so we recommend replacing them with the Guest Additions that come with VirtualBox. The VirtualBox Linux Guest Additions installer tries to detect existing installation and replace them but depending on how the distribution integrates the Guest Additions, this may require some manual interaction.

Anyway after the removal and new installation, the video additions are working well, which what I needed most. :slight_smile:

Congrats, and working without another thread. :slight_smile: