New Users cannot login

Create new user either via CL or GUI …

CAN logon via TTL where system says “directory /home/newuser does not exist … logging onto /”

… which is correct as no home directory is being created at NewUser time??

Trying to logon via the GUI … says ‘Incorrect password’ … no matter how many times i delete and recreate same or different users??

Please help.

Thnx

Log in as root and go to /home if there is no folders then the NewUser’s folder wasn’t created

try creating it yourself! and change the owner to be NewUser & give it 777 permissions

That is not very explaining what you did.

On the CLI you have to do it all using several (combinations of) commands. Where you can of course make many mistakes. How should we be able to find those mistakes when wehave no idea what you did?

From the GUI is also not very clear. We may assume that you use YaST > Security and Users > User and Group Management. But you do not say so. And why should we, who spend our spare time in trying to help you, do all the guessing where you can inform us about what you did. Not very helpful to those who try to help you. :frowning:

On Tue 23 May 2017 02:36:01 AM CDT, griadooss wrote:

Create new user either via CL or GUI …

CAN logon via TTL where system says “directory /home/newuser does not
exist … logging onto /”

… which is correct as no home directory is being created at NewUser
time??

Trying to logon via the GUI … says ‘Incorrect password’ … no matter
how many times i delete and recreate same or different users??

Please help.

Thnx

Hi
From the command line you need to use the -m option eg;

useradd -m newuser
passwd newuser

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.62-18.6-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

On Tue 23 May 2017 04:16:01 AM CDT, soSElinux wrote:

folder wasn’t created

try creating it yourself! and change the owner to be NewUser & give it
777 permissions

Hi
Bad choice, that gives every user on the system access to you
directory. User the proper tool useradd.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.62-18.6-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Sure … point taken. The GUI path i used was System Settings > Account Details > User Manager > New User

CLI method was simply:

# useradd 'newusername' 

and then

# passwd 'newusername'
password: 'newusername_password'
retype: 'newusername_password'

user is created without creating a /home/newusername directory and even though can logon via TTY not via login screen … says ‘wrong password’ or something similar.

I must have done something wrong as deleting and creating again results in same behaviour … so just re-loaded a recent image of the system and started again … used the GUI method above and it worked fine!!

Thanks for suggestions and help

G

From the command line you have to make the users home directory The GUI does to for you. If you don’t have a home you can’t login

Oh yes the users home must be owned buy the user

My advice: either use YaST for this (and all other tasks where YaST has a module for), or use the CLI (and then do not forget anything, or read man pages about which tool does what for you).

For the System Settings > Account Details > User Manager > New User I guess you are more or less on your own in an openSUSE environment. Many people have chosen openSUSE because it has YaST. Thus not many will use other tools and thus will have enough experience with them to be of help here.

And more general of course: never assume that other people will understand exactly what you do when you say things like “I did it using the CLI” or “I did it using the GUI”. As everybody will have his/her own way of doing things this will certainly create confusion. (I e.g. would never have thought about that System Settings thing, isn’t that a KDE feature? you never even told you are using KDE :().