New USB mouse block booting after GRUB

Hi there,

please, I have big troubles with new mouse. It works properly in all cases except booting. It is really strange but if I restart the system (11.3), There is BIOS hdd detection, GRUB (I choose oS 11.3), after I can see about three text lines for short time and after only black screen. And system is halted.

If I disconnect the mouse, reset PC, choose in GRUB, I can see text lines, immediately there is a graphic screen, connect mouse and it works until next reboot.

Any idea what’s wrong?

Thank you,

Martin

Hi there,

please, I have big troubles with new mouse. It works properly in all cases except booting. It is really strange but if I restart the system (11.3), There is BIOS hdd detection, GRUB (I choose oS 11.3), after I can see about three text lines for short time and after only black screen. And system is halted.

If I disconnect the mouse, reset PC, choose in GRUB, I can see text lines, immediately there is a graphic screen, connect mouse and it works until next reboot.

Any idea what’s wrong?

Thank you,

Martin

I have three questions for you…

1. Brand and Model of this mouse …
  2. Have you tries any other mice?
  3. Do you have External USB booting enabled in your computer BIOS?

Depending on your answers, I might also want a copy of your /etc/fstab file and the terminal output as root of fdisk -l (that is an -L, but a lower case -l must be used).

Thank You,

So the mice is A4tech X-718BK.

Other mouse I have tested in the same USB port without any problem, and also I have tried to connect the A4 mice to another port.
If USB booting is enabled I have to check but I dont think so.

Through Yast and Mouse in HW sesction I tried to change type of mouse also No Mouse option and always the same result.

Thank you,

Martin

ad 3) No. I have just checked it and no booting from USB and also if I forbid USB at all, it works (it boots) but the mice doesnt work.

fstab and fdisk are talking about harddrives and so on, not devices like mouse. I am not sure if there cant be a conflict between udev and xorg.conf but how to solve it…

I have found in BIOS two options:

USB enabled/disabled (it is enabled)
USB storage support (I disabled this)

and now it works also USB HDD but I am not sure if I dont disabled something useful :slight_smile:

I have found in BIOS two options:

USB enabled/disabled (it is enabled)
USB storage support (I disabled this)

and now it works also USB HDD but I am not sure if I dont disabled something useful :slight_smile:

So I see that my third suggestion to look at your BIOS setup did pan out to be the problem. I suggest that for some reason, this mouse appears as a potential USB boot device. Not sure if this is a BIOS problem or a mouse problem, but I would blame the mouse first I think. You will only miss the opportunity to boot your computer from an external USB hard drive. I have a couple of computers that dual boot Windows/openSUSE using the External hard drive for openSUSE, but generally, this option is not required for normal operation. I am very happy to hear that you were able to solve your problem.

Thank You,

It is interesting that it blocks pc after grub. Because the menu for device booting is before this, let’s say the possibility to press F11 and choose it.
In any case, if I miss only USB booting, no problem. I can enable it if I need but until now I have never needed it.

In any case, thanks for help, suggestions and time;)

I would say, your mouse has a defect. Return it