New to opesuse . Need help !! Please reply !! ASAP

Heloo guys, i am new to opensuse so please advice me about which Suse version should i install.

Opensuse 11.4 or Opensuse 12.1

and among GNOME and KDE which desktop should i choose and why?

Please reply ASAP !!

Why not try a live CD of both kde and gnome
12.1 has gnome 3
11.4 has gnome 2

This really isn’t a help question is it.

Have you used Linux before and if so, what?

No its the first time i am using linux as in my college that is IIT Mumbai my professor advised me to switch to linux instead of using windows and he also asked me to use KDE desktop and when i asked him why and other questions he told me to discover it myself and so i am here. Since you guys are much habitual to this OS hence i need some advices

Yeah it is a help question. I am totally a newbie and i cannot find any pdf or source to start using Opensuse from very beginnig so take it seriously guys.

@caf4926

what is difference between a live cd and normal one(4.7 GB) available on the opensuse download portal.

and listen i have istalled both kde and gnome of 12.1 in dual boot with my windows 7, KDE seems to be more close to windows 7 infact it has a better interface and i have decided to go with KDE correct me if i am taking a wrong step.

Now what i am goin to say will sound weird…

now i have learn to install flash player, VLC player in KDE.

and the big dick problem is installing drivers for my radeon 5450. I have tried various ways on internet but cant find a successfull one. If you guys have installed your amd/ati drivers n suse then please post the method.

Hello himanshuas2711,

LiveCDs contain only one desktop environment and don’t have all the language packages on the disc.
These languages can be installed from repositories after installing openSUSE.

The 4.7 GB is a DVD iso and contains multiple desktop environments and more packages.
You can always install these packages afterward if you installed using a liveCD.
The big advantage of using liveCDs is that you can try the distro/desktop before installing it.

This isn’t a wrong step since the choice of the desktop environment is nothing more than a choice of favor.
Which one do you like more, in your case it seems KDE.

Have a look here:
SDB:ATI drivers - openSUSE
Good luck!:wink:

Hey thanks for fast response.

Ok so i went to your link.

There in Easy install (CLI)

a word zypper is used many times, what is it and how can use it?

kde is good
I use kde
see my sig for guides on multimedia

A live cd lets you try the Os before installing

> I am totally a newbie and i cannot find any
> pdf or source to start using Opensuse from very beginnig

lots of info to read, get busy!!

(discover it yourself is what your professor advised, and what i
advise–it is the very BEST way to learn your way around new operating
systems and applications…if you really want to be an IT professional,
stop asking breathless !!!ASAP!!!] questions and get busy reading…)

this is just a beginning list (there is more than enough “PDF or source
to start using” to keep you reading until next summer):

1. http://doc.opensuse.org/

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/new-user-how-faq-read-only/424611-new-users-opensuse-pre-install-general-please-read.html

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/new-user-how-faq-read-only/467087-new-users-opensuse-12-1-pre-installation-please-read.html

1. http://tinyurl.com/3a5rong

DD
dump Flash: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15797399

Hello himanshuas2711,

This is the Easy install Command LIne.
Zypper is a command line package manager.
Here’s some more information about zypper: Portal: Zypper - openSUSE

Using it is quite simple, open a terminal by starting Konsole.
Now to run the first zypper command you simple enter the complete command (except for the ‘#’):

# zypper ar -f [Index of /mirror/ati/openSUSE_11.4](http://geeko.ioda.net/mirror/ati/openSUSE_11.4/) fglrx

This command needs to be run as root so you’ll have to become root first.
Simply by running su - it will ask for the root password. (More information here)

If you’ve got question feel free to ask them!:wink:

a word zypper is used many times, what is it and how can use it?

Zypper is a command line utility for (software) package management.

Package Management With Zypper | Linux Journal

Since you’re new to openSUSE, you may want to have a read of this guide as well:

Concepts - openSUSE

Enjoy the freedom! :slight_smile:

wow guys thats awesome… i never had such a great experience to be with professionals while i was in windows community.

Its just wow and

@DenverD

thanks bro for boosting me. i will try my best but i know i will need to be instructed as i get demoralised soon when my serious attempts tends to fail, so i hope you guys will always be there. :smiley:

Thanks a lot once again… now i have started installing ATI drivers through fglrx package, its still on its go. I will soon report if the method i used was successfull or not. :smiley:

thanks buddy … , you gave what i actually needed :smiley:

This is the Easy install Command LIne

It does not realy matter, but I allways thought it means Command Line** Interface (vs. Graphical User I**nterface or GUI).

@himasdhuas2711
While a lot of explanations about zypper are given (which is OK), as a beginner, you might want to use the GUI program YaST > Software > Software manager first, before you get infected by the wonderfull world of the CLI with* zypper*.

Ok Guys listen…

I did as it was stated in SDB:ATI drivers - openSUSE. I used the easy method(GUI).

Added the repository for 12.1 and then in software management i searched for fglrx, checked and installed the driver for my machine(32bit). It took about 30 minutes and then the software management was automatically closed and then i had restarted my pc as it was advised.

Now when boot opensuse from grub then instead of GUI ie-desktop a green transparent terminal kind of thing opens which says.

Welcome to OpenSUSE 12.1. bla…bla… Terminal
dhcp… 0: (since i knew what it is hence i typed my username there and press enter)
Password : (i typed my password)

then nothing happens it just go in that window… no GUI no desktop…?? What is it? Did i do something wrong?
Help me get out of it.!!

Hello himanshuas2711,

I didn’t use the easy method myself so I’m not sure what happened.
First of all could you post the output of this command:

rpm -qi xorg-x11-driver-video-radeonhd 

If it returns something different than “package xorg-x11-driver-video-radeonhd is not installed” it means that the open source radeonhd drivers are still installed.
You can uninstall them using this command:

zypper rm xorg-x11-driver-video-radeonhd

If everything is goes well you should have fglrx installed and radeonhd uninstalled.
Run this command to configure xorg:

aticonfig --initial

Now you’ll need to reboot.
Good luck!:wink:

@Edward i am posting some images of output that i get after i reboot my system may be this will help you recognize what the problem is :slight_smile:

This is what i get just after i finish booting.
MyUpload.org - Fast Free Image Hosting

After logging in as root.

I googled my problem and in a thread it was written to try typing “startx”. I entered startx in terminal and end up with this screen.

Please download file for a better view. Download link will appear at bottom

@Edward
Okay so i did what you wrote.

Yeah the radeonhd drivers were still installed. When i typed in the very first code the whole driver information came then i typed in the code to uninstall these drivers and the unistallation was successfull, but when i typed “aticonfig --initial” it did’nt execute, i dun know why then i typed in “aticonfig” then a whole set of programs appeared on screen and then i rebooted my pc but still i end up with that **** terminal, GUI did’nt load.

Hello himanshuas2711,

You say aticonfig --initial didn’t execute, did it provide some output?

Seeing the output it can’t find/load the fglrx driver.

Which package do you have installed?

rpm -qi fglrx64_xpic_SUSE121
rpm -qi fglrx_xpic_SUSE121

Do you run 32-bit or 64-bit openSUSE?

Best of luck!:wink:

“aticonfig --initial” it just ended up saying that bla… bla… is not a typo…!!

I am having Core 2 Duo E4560 32bit processor, and installed OpenSUSE 12.1 64bit 4.7GB DVD Iso(since this was the only DVD my professor had)

As for graphic driver package, i have installed “rpm -qi fglrx_xpic_SUSE121”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Have a look at this
openSUSE Forums - ATI driver with atiupgrade

Unfortunately for you, I use nvidia so can’t really advise

BTW
Have you tied the Failsafe boot option?