new to openSuse, former corporate systems programmer

Situation: decided to bite the bullet, bought a reasonably fast Ryzen ATX board, and some other goodies, and had a local gamer friend put it together and install Leap with gtk.

Poked around, (this is like my 15th OS in 52 years), I also read docs online for a day, and watched a few hours of vids,

Long and short, I ran into some problems, and I think I should rebuild the OS.
QUESTION 1: good idea or not?
QUESTION 2: I want to avoid dependencies hell, so what’s a good read (or vid) on the philosophy and tools that I should consider?

more background: I love the gtk Plasma UI & my overall UX, right out of the box. If needs be, I can use CL as needed, along with the manual (yes, I do RTFM). I’m clear on accounts and permissions, and have decades of systems experience (but just some incidental UNIX and LINUX experience)

1st trouble: no Yast
my response… ran the update software that presented itself in the system tray, lower right corner of the screen
result… a shitload of messages, but presto, after some time (I have a funky internet connection here in latin america), Yast shows up, but without many of the components that the docs talk about.

2nd trouble: That update switched me to Tumbleweed, which is OK, but I don’t know what I did to cause that. I hate not knowing.

3rd trouble: GIMP didn’t want to install because of what I took to be some dependencies problems (from the messages). I went on a “shoot from the hip” clickthrough rampage, and PRESTO. Gimp lives! but all the dependencies stuff I saw come up… that’s worrying me. I don’t understand the way all you seasoned SUSE folks look at this aspect of the ecosystem. I’m sure that a lot of work has been done to help me… but what do I read, or watch?

PLEASE, it’s best if I solve the problems myself, but PLEASE help by
1-- pointing me at my “best bet” informational resources (there are too many to look through them all!)
2-- Confirm (or not) that a rebuild of the OS is indicated…

Hope I’m not disturbing you all… Cheers & Thx, Eric;)

You probably did a “one click install” which added a Tumbleweed repo. And, on the next update, you were updated to that repo.

I suggest you check your repos and disable or delete any with “Tumbleweed” or “Factory” as part of the url.

QUESTION 1:
I don’t think you’ll find many Linux users using the term rebuild except as applied to (custom) compiling software from source. You seem to be asking whether to reinstall the (openSUSE Leap) operating system. If this is the case, I suggest the answer is yes, because it sounds like you have already reached a form of dependency hell by using 1-click installation in your web browser to add software that wasn’t intended for the OS version you have installed (Leap).

QUESTION 2:
The form of dependency hell you are in is called mixed repos. Repos, short for “repositories”, are source locations for package management use, (Zypper for cmdline, and YaST for either text mode or GUI mode). Most repos are specifically intended for only one version of an OS. Those that are configured for your installation are each represented by a plain text file in /etc/zypp/repos.d/. In each you will find one or two URLs. For Leap 15.1, part of each of the default repo files will include the string 15.1. Any you find there that are not for Leap 15.1 are suspect of having caused your particular dependency hell. Most likely your trouble is because one or more have Tumbleweed instead of 15.1. Repositories can be managed manually via text editor and file manager, or via the two supported methods, Zypper and YaST. YaST is best to start with for most openSUSE newbies, since Zypper, as most CLI tools, takes some time to learn. The short answer is “Package/Repository Management”, which my Googling hasn’t yet produced.

1st Trouble:
The lower right tool tray isn’t for YaST, but a semi-automatic package updater. YaST is in the menu at the other end of the toolbar somewhere under “System”.

2nd Trouble:
Covered above (inappropriate use of 1-click did it.)

3rd Trouble:
Trouble getting Gimp installed is fallout of dependency hell caused by bad experience with 1-click.

Recommended reading would include:

BTW1: Most GUI apps are built using toolkits. The two toolkits that get the most press are GTK, and QT. The Gnome desktop is built on the former, while KDE/Plasma is built on QT. Where you wrote Leap with GTK what you probably had to start with was Leap with Gnome.

BTW2: openSUSE, as are other other Linux distributions, is a software compilation. Its maintainers build packages to populate the repos, which are used by a package manager to install ready to use software. Each distro’s installation system contains patterns, groups of programs, suited to particular categories of tasks. Groups of tasks form the basis of main menu selections for installing the OS for those who want simple and easy installation, while more detailed selection is an option for the experts and the adventurous. Actual program compilation, building the packages, is done by the infrastructure. Tools are provided in the repos so that users can build apps themselves, but this is not what most users do.

HTH :slight_smile:

Thx for the recomendations… will do what you say
cheers & thx again, Eric

i went with the leap 15.1 dvd image install, i think that helped. and try not to have tumbleweed repositories hooked up at least during the early install stages till everything is installed and you have a stable system. tumbleweed tend to have updated (latest) binary packages, but those can break the dependency chain say on a leap install.
and like mentioned by others, yast is its own admin app and i tend to access it from applications > settings > administrator settings on the menu, not from the system tray

Some FYI…

1. You might find the slide deck from my opsnSUSE presentation useful, it’s designed along the decision-making process for anyone installing openSUSE from Pre-install to the actual install, and then first steps after install (am considering new adds for installing multimedia codecs and virtualization).

https://slides.com/tonysu/opensuse/#/

1. You should know that most openSUSE graphical tools including YaST and most Desktops are re-basing using Qt, replacing gtk… probably led by KDE/Plasma and affecting other Desktops like LXQt (successor to LXDE) which utilizes KDE razor-qt components.

2. As others have noted, the most common cause for a sudden, unexpected distro change is the mistaken addition of another distro’s OSS repository. Because an openSUSE update will update packages to the latest version no matter from what repo, this can result in wholesale replacement of the operating system but improperly done can also result in a Frankenstein system.

3. Most problem-free way to install apps should be to first try installing using existing repositories (assuming no mistaken repos), and to install using another tool like One Click install only as a next option. You should automatically do this by either using YaST or the zypper command.

HTH,
TSU

See my slide deck, link provided in post above,
Tumbleweed and LEAP are two very different releases, and the two do not mix.
You make your decision to install one or the other, and then stick with it.

TSU