new to linux question

Hi I am new to Linux and am looking to install it on my laptop. I have an AIX background.

I have been researching for the “right” solution for me.
I was wondering a few things about SUSE.

How hard is it to get wireless/network working ?

I have a Verizon wireless modem card. How would I get that to work. I looked on their site but did not see a Linux client for this device.

Is there some SW that works on Linux?

What about my IPOD. I see things for other MP3 players but not Apple ITunes. Or do I need to convert my files etc.
I also have a WinCE palm 700W phone that sync with my outlook. Is there a client that will work with Linux?

I would like to get off Windows but have to keep it around for various apps like the ones mentioned above.

Thanx for any info you can share.

CJ

Some other questions I have…

I have a network attached drive that has 2 usb drives off it. They are NTFS and win32 formats. Can they be seen my Linux? Also if I plug in a USB drive/stick will it be seen?

I use SD cards for my camera with a sd reader will that be an issue?

Sorry for so many questions just trying to figure this all out before I make the leap.
CJ

A lot depends on the hardware provided. Some is supported, not normally by the vendor but as a result of work by Linux developers. Try the version of your wireless modem plus ‘Linux’ in Google and see if you get any responses.

Not sure about this.

There is no need to give up all in one go. Why not take advantage of dual-booting and get to know in steps what you can do immediately, what you can do with a little more familiarity with Linux and where you may need to wait for the issues you have to be solved.

thanx for the info. I dont plan on giving up windows all at once. I know there will be application I need to use that Linux wont support just yet.

I do plan on a dual boot. Just want to see if I can get the majority of the apps i do use like ipod and wireless/wireless modem to work first.

tired of a slow windows os and all the crashing/virus that come with it. I work on AIX and love it. Wish there was an AIX for I86 :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi CJ & Welcome!,

Well, your AIX knowledge will certainly help you understand openSUSE/Linux quickly. Many commands will be different though, but it’s a big plus that you know how things work (file structure, config files, etc).
What kind of wireless (brand/make) card are we talking?

The usb drives should be a ‘no brainer’. Plug it in and it should mount automatically.

As for DE choice, They will shoot me, but give GNOME a try (as also KDE 3.5 - KDE 4 is not mature enough, well at least not until openSUSE 11.1 is launched).I suspect you will find it a good starting point.

Also the current development version (11.1) is looking very promising and has many features to accommodate your wishes and more.

One thing I did that got me boosted into Linux was use VMware (or Virtualbox) to have an XP machine ready when needed & without the need for dual booting. Might be a good way to go too?

Most important: have patience where it’s needed & enjoy!

If you have any questions just open a new post. The forum support is good here (also one of the nice things with Linux).

Cheers,
Wj

Some openSUSE basic concepts, to help you come up to speed quicker in the openSUSE Linux way of doing things, are located here: Concepts - openSUSE That is RECOMMENDED reading.

Desktop Choice:
If you decide to take the plunge, and go for openSUSE-11.0, then if you install from DVD, you will be given the choice for a desktop of KDE4, KDE-3.5.9 or Gnome. Don’t choose KDE4 as the KDE4 version in openSUSE-11.0 is not stable enough for most users. Choose instead KDE-3.5.9 or Gnome. I use KDE-3.5.9 myself.

If you install from a CD, and if you wish to use a Novell/SuSE-GmbH produced CD, you need to use the Novell/SuSE-GmbH Gnome CD. Don’t choose the Novell/SuSE-GmbH KDE4 CD (for if you do, you may need lots of hand holding).

KDE-3.5.9 Live CD
Alternatively, if you want KDE-3.5.9, but you don’t want to download the DVD, you could install openSUSE-11.0 from a liveCD created by the openSUSE community.

KDE-4.1 Live CD
If you want to install from a liveCD, and you REALLY want KDE4, then try the KDE-4.1 live CD created by the openSUSE community:

• openSUSE-11.0 (32-bit) with KDE-4.1 desktop. Go here for download: “KDE Four Live” CD](http://home.kde.org/~binner/kde-four-live/) #this is a great package to play with KDE-4.1. RECOMMENDED (but note getting updates to KDE-4.1 on openSUSE-11.0 is rather problematic/unstable).

openSUSE-11.1
When I started in Linux back in 1998, I actually read for a couple of months, before I first tried to install Red Hat. If you have a similar mindset, you could start reading now, then in mid-December install openSUSE-11.1 when it is first released, where it will have an updated Gnome and a more stable KDE-4.1.2. RECOMMENDED.

BITTORENT
I typically seed the above two openSUSE community liveCDs via bittorent, but I am in the middle of moving. It may be tuesday or wednesday next week before I start seeding them again. But you can always download them directly. Be certain to check the md5sum of the downloaded ISO file vs the md5sum on the web site, before burning.

And some newbie installation instructions:
NEWBIES - Suse-11.0 Pre-installation – PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums

Good luck and have fun deciding your choice.

Well I had some time and a spare system so I loaded the live CD for 11 with Kde4. I am impressed. It is up on the network and reachable etc. I wont be loading it today for real but it looks cool. At least the CD I made works lol!

I did notice it got a lot of memory or some sore of cannot read register errors but it did start

If you have a digital camera, with a movie mode, you can take a small video of it while booting, then play back slowly, and give a precise indication as to what the boot errors are.

Isn’t there a boot log for that?

dmesg gives a lot of good information, … but the information that flash’s by one’s screen is not identical to that in the boot log. It can be useful to have both.

Typically I look at the boot log first.

BUT if one can not boot (which is not the case here), then a boot log does not help, and a digital video camera can come in real handy.

I am not sure how i can get to the log as it is booting of cd not disk. I was trying to see the interface before i installed it.

I tried on on another system at home over the weekend I could not see my master hd so I am wondering why. This may be an issue with the disk I am using. I know the system will boot from another drive i have. (removable drive bays) boots win98 OK. so the CPU etc are OK.