New streams in pulse only use front speakers

Apologies in advance if this has already come up, but i looked and could only find threads where surround sound didn’t work at all.

When a new stream starts in pulse, such as when banshee changes tracks, pulse will only use the front two speakers. Switching to another output and back will then restore the use of all speakers, until the next stream starts. I have changed the value to tell pulse to use 5.1 in both the dialog and the config file and this behavior persists.

I’m finding it somewhat annoying to have to change the stream after every song if I want it to use all my speakers.Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this or has anyone else experienced this. I’m using the sound card built in to my Asus M3A78-T motherboard.

OOps, I suppose I should include a few other things.
Using openSuSE 11.1
I’d say what version of pulse I’m using however I can’t find that information, but I updated just before I posted.

Okay, so it’s not reverting to only using the front 2 speakers on further analysis, it’s using all channels but the lfe channel. and running two streams on it at once introduced a static interference type noise and stuttery.

(and I just noticed that I put this in the wrong subforum >_<)