New SSD- Boot problem

Done.
boot on Windows & Secureboot disapeared…I’m feeling like a prisonner in the claws of MS!

linux-7blh:/home/loicmartel # efibootmgr
BootCurrent: 003D
Timeout: 5 seconds
BootOrder: 0001,3001,2001,2002,2003
Boot0000* USB Hard Drive (UEFI) - PNY USB 2.0 FD
Boot0001* Windows Boot Manager
Boot2001* USB Drive (UEFI)
Boot2002* Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive (UEFI)
Boot3000* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot3001* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot3002* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot3003* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk

Hi
So what is this device, can you remove it, re-run the efibootmgr command to create an entry?
Before a reboot also add the efibootmgr -n command <boot_entry>, where <boot_entry> is the number created.

Also when you press the F9 key to get to the boot menu, can you select an efi file to boot from?

Nothing is plugged, I think this device was “created” when I tried to boot with the USB key…

And yes I can boot with UEFI file in the Bios with F9, this is exactly the way I launch my Suse ^^’’’

I’m feel not right with the console for now, i just begin in linux…may you write the code please?..( and thanks again for your help…)

linux-7blh:/home/loicmartel # efibootmgr
BootCurrent: 003D
Timeout: 5 seconds
BootOrder: 0001,3001,2001,2002,2003
Boot0001* Windows Boot Manager
Boot2001* USB Drive (UEFI)
Boot2002* Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive (UEFI)
Boot3000* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot3001* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot3002* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot3003* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk

Hi
OK, can you boot into windows and ensure a full shutdown, in windows open a admin cmd window and enter;

shutdown /s /t 5

Then restart the computer, press F9 and boot into openSUSE.

Add a new efi entry via;

efibootmgr -c -L "openSUSE Secureboot" -l "\\EFI\\opensuse\\shim.efi"
efibootmgr
efibootmgr -n <boot_entry>
shutdown -r now

Question, are you absolutely sure that when you installed the OS you had booted the installer in EFI mode. Look in the /boot/efi directory and see if the is an opensuse directory there

The new drive being an SSD should have absolutely no bearing on the problem you are seeing

Also lets be clear this worked with the previous drive on the same computer with out any other changes?? And you did install the on the old drive in EFI mode??

There have been some reports of some HP, I believe, Machines insisting on only booting to the Windows EFI entry but you could still see the opensuse entry. But if it worked previously in EFI mode then it should work now. However if the previous install was MBR then maybe you have one of those Windows only machines. :open_mouth:

I have enter the commands lines, and just after the reboot i get a Bios message “the selected boot fail” …

Maybe should I reinstall OpenSuse in order to create a new Opensuse Secureboot entry (the last one has diseapered again…)
Or maybe create another boot partition in the SSD?..

And gogalthorp, for my last install with only one Hard Drive, it work after 2 reinstallation because i had…boot problems! But it finally used to work without problem with the choice beteen the two OS.
And of course there is opensuse directory in the root (using Dolphin to see it). But is that normal that there is Grub.efi, grubx64.efi, Mokmanager.efi and shim.efi?

On Sun 29 Mar 2015 08:16:02 PM CDT, Simara wrote:

I have enter the commands lines, and just after the reboot i get a Bios
message “the selected boot fail” …

Maybe should I reinstall OpenSuse in order to create a new Opensuse
Secureboot entry (the last one has diseapered again…)
Or maybe create another boot partition in the SSD?..

And gogalthorp, for my last install with only one Hard Drive, it work
after 2 reinstallation because i had…boot problems! But it finally
used to work without problem with the choice beteen the two OS.
And of course there is opensuse directory in the root (using Dolphin to
see it). But is that normal that there is Grub.efi, grubx64.efi,
Mokmanager.efi and shim.efi?

Hi
If not much is configured, then may be an easier option, not sure why
it’s not retaining the nvram entry.

Are there any BIOS updates for your system, if so install those via
Windows and then re-install and see if it helps.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.38-44-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Hi,
I’ve got some news. I’ve tried to reinstall my all Suse on the SSD and when the Grub console came, when I typed ls, the only disk shown was the 0…
And after a reinstall in the HDD it worked well with the possibility to dual Boot.
So, i think i m gonna put windows and suse on the SSD in order to have to suse root directory in the same disk of windows…