New SCSI Harddrive in Hardware Information but not in Partition Manager Can't Mount?

Hi, I am fairly green on Linux, but getting there. I have mounted drives in the past ok. However, I just added a new external SCSI drive box with 4 SCSI drives in it (used). The system sees them as sde/sdf/sdg/sdh. Under YAST Hardware Information, I can see them as IBM 36GB drives. All is well. Under /dev/ there are sde sdf sdg sdh. No problem. However in Partition Manager, e,f,g,h do not show up, only my other previous drives in use. I tried the terminal mode, su. Then tried “fdisk /dev/sde” It says “Unable to open /dev/sde”. I tried “mkfs.ext4 /dev/sde” If says this is the whole device, continue anyway? I say yes and it says can’t open device.

All I want is a single partition, ext4, to store data, but I can’t get there. I did a low level format on the sde drive through the SCSI BIOS utility hoping it would help, but it didn’t change anything. Just deleted all partitions. Still can’t access it. I hope I am just missing something stupid and someone can tell me that one thing and I will admit I am stupid and continue.

I don’t think it matters, but I am running a 64 bit version of Open Suse 11.2 on an IBM server dual 3GH Xeon.

So openSUSE 11.2 is pretty old. Its possible that something on the computer does not work right with that old kernel. Why not download a LiveCD for openSUSE 11.4 from here:

http://ftp.utexas.edu/opensuse/distribution/11.4/iso/openSUSE-11.4-KDE-LiveCD-x86_64.iso

Then, make a CD, boot from it and see if the Newer Partitioner does any better.

Thank You,

I do not know what Partition Manager you use, but the one that is easy to show the output here is *fdisk. *Thus as root post the output of

fdisk -l

And as I see you are rather new here (welcome btw): we like computer output like the one I ask for between CODE tags: Posting in Code Tags - A Guide

Just to update. I did upgrade to 11.4 from 11.2. It didn’t help this problem. However, I did check my cables on my external SCSI lines and I think one was loose. Now it works and I have them all online. Darn cables…

Just to update. I did upgrade to 11.4 from 11.2. It didn’t help this problem. However, I did check my cables on my external SCSI lines and I think one was loose. Now it works and I have them all online. Darn cables…

Thanks for the update vinoman. When you least expect it, bad cables strike again. At least you found the problem.

Thank You,