New Problem with Yast software management?

This morning I was doing my usual upgrade of all packages. When I selected >all in this list>upgrade if newer package is available, Yast apparently was running the resolver and never stopped. After 20 minutes, I killed the process.
I then upgraded all packages using zypper, which went perfectly. After the upgrade I went back to Yast and the problem still remains. The resolver seems to go into an endless loop.
I’m not sure if I should re-install Yast software management or search for other options.

purevw adjusted his/her AFDB on Monday 13 Jul 2009 15:56 to write:

>
> This morning I was doing my usual upgrade of all packages. When I
> selected >all in this list>upgrade if newer package is available, Yast
> apparently was running the resolver and never stopped. After 20 minutes,
> I killed the process.
> I then upgraded all packages using zypper, which went perfectly.
> After the upgrade I went back to Yast and the problem still remains. The
> resolver seems to go into an endless loop.
> I’m not sure if I should re-install Yast software management or
> search for other options.
>
>

The easiest way is to use the repositories section of Yast and in the system
part select each individual app that is in blue and select update, keep
going down the list till you hit the one that causes the prob ( note I don`t
mean update each one individually just select update )

After you have killed and restarted Yast try just select the ones that you
know are OK and update them until you are left with the bad ones and see
what the conflicts are.

HTH

Mark
Caveat emptor
Nullus in verba
Nil illegitimi carborundum

My problem is solved, but there is still possibly a problem with the resolver. Let me mention what I did. I went to >Package Groups>All Packages. I then manually scrolled to find possible updates. There was an upgrade for Kaffeine (packman version upgrade). When I marked it for upgrade, the resolver instantly prompted me to install Kaffeine Language. I accepted the proposed upgrade. That is when the resolver went into a loop. I killed the process. The next time, I told Yast to ignore dependencies. It then prompted that Kaffeine Language required the older version of Kaffeine. I told Yast to also ignore that dependency. Everything went correctly. I lastly re-ran Yast to upgrade all upgradable packages. Kaffeine Language came up again and I approved it. This time, there was no resolver problem and no installation problem. The original versions of both were i686 architecture, while the upgrades were x86_64. I suppose the architecture change threw a major monkey wrench into the resolver and it was possibly trying to resolve a thousand dependencies. What’s curious is that Yast didn’t complain when I did the two packages seperately.

purevw adjusted his/her AFDB on Monday 13 Jul 2009 16:36 to write:

>What’s curious is that Yast didn’t complain when
> I did the two packages seperately.
>
>

Yeah that can happen quite a lot, I had a similar thing yesterday, where it
was easier to un-install a package and then re-install than let the resolver
throw hundreds of deps, that was all over some devel packages.

Glad you got it sorted.

Enjoy.

Mark
Caveat emptor
Nullus in verba
Nil illegitimi carborundum