New phishing tactic...beware of tabnappers

interesting exploit to be read here:

Devious New Phishing Tactic Targets Tabs — Krebs on Security

i imagine there will be patches forthcoming, NoScript extension for Firefox has implemented a tenative work-around.

And so it is very interesting, thanks for the heads up, I’m warned now.

Thats very devious, and nasty. And its an operating system independant exploit.

IMHO all users need to be aware of that risk!

A very nasty one indeed.

I may have already had this happen…
While I use firefox and tabs and have noscript in use, the other day I came here to this forum went to check info on www came back to forum and was presented with login page. I re-logged in and was passed back to where I had been viewing but browser asked if it should remember password for the site which had in the past already been told “never remember for this site”.

Man is there no end to these scum and their attempts to commit atrocities .

This new scheme is sneaky and vicious.

I’m going to get all - political here - and say that robbery of personal data is a violation and a crime. In fact, I would consider it an act of war, especially when it occurs on a company or government computer.

We need help… Being an act of war, I have a couple of suggs:

  1. Unplug the internet to the country where these hacker(s) reside. This will wake up the host country and give them plenty of incentive to make them find the perpetrator(s).

  2. As an alternative, our govmn’t can send (special ops) troops there and take them out.

Why bother with troops, just send in a couple of drones.

Phew for a moment you meant tabbynappers. At least the cat’s safe for the moment. :wink:

danperecky wrote:
> 1. Unplug the internet to the country where these hackers reside.

two things i disagree with:

First: you misuse the term “hackers” because you assumed those are bad
people or people who do bad things… [where you define “bad”]

but, the term “hacker” has been used for decades in both good and bad
ways…let me say it this way: every bit of the programming done in
Linux is done by “a hacker”…same can be said of all the programming
done in other systems…so, if you want to unhook every country who
has computer programmers in them, then you will have NO internet in
about one New York second…

imo, the term you intended to use was “cracker” or “black hat”

Second: so, because there are a few crackers in country you think the
entire population of that country should be penalized? and, i wonder
do you think your country has zero crackers in it, and where do you live?


DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

DenverD,

I agree with you. You are probably more current and therefore right about the term hacker... Lets go with your suggestion.

unhook every country who
has computer programmers in them, then you will have NO internet in about one New York second…

Your point may be valid… Consider this: The days of some dude in a basement making some annoying virus for kicks are almost gone. Viruses are getting very sophisticated these days… The turf is getting to look serious… like cyberwar. Much is at stake. For example, the virus cited above, if left unchecked, can affect multitudes of computers… thereby rendering them virtually useless. The cumulative but lasting (longer than a second :rolleyes:) result would be no usable internet. To counteract this trend, unplugging a country would have two immediate results:

  1. The virus will not be able to ‘phone home’ with critical personal data.
  2. The government of that country will have much incentive to find the source of the cyberwar object.

I may be mistaken, but I heard that the center of the internet are computers somewhere here in the US. There is a program that was mentioned called satan that supposedly monitored all kinds of activity. One major obstacle to stopping malicious code from spreading is jurisdiction. Unplugging the country in question is an effective way around that.

Noobie asks: is AppArmor good for this?

danperecky wrote:
> I heard that the center of the internet are computers somewhere
> here in the US… a program … called satan that supposedly
> monitored all kinds of activity. … stopping malicious code from
> spreading is …Unplugging the country …

again two things:

  1. as a citizen of the USA currently living outside of the 50 i am
    well aware that many of my countrymen believe the USA is the center of
    the internet and universe…however: believing that does not make it
    true…

  2. (prepare yourself for a big shock) if all countries from whence
    malicious code emanates is unplugged then the USA would be unplugged
    nearly instantly…

so, now what? how about we just unplug the states that have crackers?
so then you can unplug (probably) 40 states just by guessing…oh no,
maybe we should only unplug cities with crackers… see where this is
going?

btw, i don’t know about a net monitor program called “satan” but i
have seen reports that the NSA drags very fine nets through the either…


DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio