New motherboard... disk/device path questions.

I’ll post the story which got me into this mess in the Soapbox another time but for now I need some clarification.

Hi,

I’m going to receive a new motherboard in a matter of days so I was wondering about what would happen to my SuSE install. I have no doubts that I will need to re-install or repair Windows Vista however I was hoping the same won’t be true for SuSE.

I have SuSE installed on its own SCSI disk which sits on its own controller. Question: If I keep it on the same channel on the same PCI slot number (relative to the old board), will I need to re-install SuSE or will it find the disk automatically? I’ve had trouble before whilst re-arranging my disks where SuSE was looking at the wrong path to the disk. If this turns out to be the case, can I modify the disk path to point to the new location without a re-install?

Secondly, I have all my data (/home) on another SATA disk which sits on the on-board SATA controller of the motherboard. Again, if I place this on the same channel number (relative to the old board), will I be able to avoid a re-install and if not, can I change the device path so SuSE knows where to find it? (How would I go about doing so?)

I’m not too keen on a re-install or (clean) upgrade to 11.1 as there are too many unknowns which I don’t have time to sort out; another time, maybe. A little help would be much appreciated from anybody willing to help me! :slight_smile:

MMMM, it’s wait and see. I’ve met situations where it looked like openSUSE did not even notice it was in a different machine, though motherboard, videocard etc. were replaced; it just booted and ran fine. Then again I’ve met trouble replacing only motherboard by exactly the same motherboard (according to manufacturor, reality showed completely different components on the board).

These days a clean install of my server + configuration takes me only about 2,5 hours (install from separate internal hdd, configuration, update all), so I do the clean install anyway if I replace a motherboard.

i-ghost wrote:

> I have SuSE installed on its own SCSI disk which sits on its own
> controller. Question: If I keep it on the same channel on the same PCI
> slot number (relative to the old board), will I need to re-install SuSE
> or will it find the disk automatically?

I think there is no need to reinstall, just be sure to add the corresponding
kernel module for the new controller in order to load. If module for scsi
adapter is included in kernel (aacraid, areca, 3ware…) this task should
not be so much complicated.

But I don’t think the system will “automagically” boot ;-). It’s quite
possible that gets stock at booting and “waiting for device /dev/sda* to
appear…”.

> I’ve had trouble before whilst
> re-arranging my disks where SuSE was looking at the wrong path to the
> disk. If this turns out to be the case, can I modify the disk path to
> point to the new location without a re-install?

The path to the disks should not be a problem as you can modify them. The
module/driver for the controller to be properly recognized, yes.

> Secondly, I have all my data (/home) on another SATA disk which sits on
> the on-board SATA controller of the motherboard. Again, if I place this
> on the same channel number (relative to the old board), will I be able
> to avoid a re-install and if not, can I change the device path so SuSE
> knows where to find it? (How would I go about doing so?)

I don’t think this can be problemtic as far as hdd is detected :-). Mounting
the device to the right location should do the trick.

Greetings,

Camaleón