New Linux User, Wireless 'Active' with Limited Connectivity

Hey guys. I am a brand new user to linux and am really stumped here. I got ubuntu working fine on my netbook and wanted to play around with opensuse. I have it installed and everything works fine except my wireless connection.

I have updated everything since the installation through a wired connection, that didn’t help. I have read the stickies, but to be honest, I’m so new to this stuff I’m kinda lost. So my wireless network has a WEP encryption and I have entered that password as a 64 HEX Key in the Wireless Manager widget. It connects to the network and says is labeled as active, however there is still the yellow exclamation shield next to the connection. Firefox and other apps don’t have access to the internet.

The computer has a Atheros wifi card and is using the Athk9 driver.
Any suggestions?

EDIT: K, now I’m real confused. I just tried accessing the router from firefox and it works. I cannot access any other page though.

Please delete this thread.

I’m an idiot. But it sucks that openSUSE doesn’t work with WEP.

Wowwww. OK, a NEW problem. So I just switched from KDE to GNOME and now the wireless is acting up again. I already switch my router to WPA2 Personal encryption. The only change I’ve made since I got it working with KDE is GNOME.

Help a noobie out!!

at the beginning of the wireless forum are three threads, which are called stickies;

here is one

My wireless doesn’t work - a primer on what I should do next - openSUSE Forums

it will tell you what information to post to help the experts;

to save you doing that,

here is the link to a script that you can run, that will analyse your wireless; and make suggestions to how to get it going;

Benutzeranleitung/Usersguide von/of collectNWData | collectNWData.sh

go to download script and run it: it is quite safe; the author regularly posts on this forum himself

I recommend you use that; you may even read the recommended actions yourself, and also feel happy to post the results back as they are redmeat for wireless experts

On 03/29/2010 10:56 PM, s7mk wrote:
>
> Please delete this thread.
>
> I’m an idiot. But it sucks that openSUSE doesn’t work with WEP.

OpenSUSE DOES work with WEP!!!

— NWEliza is analyzing the system for common network configuration errors …

!!! CND0120E: Network card wlan0 has no IP address
/usr/bin/sed: -e expression #1, char 65: unknown option to `s’

]\x05\x17X\xE9^\ Interface doesn’t support scanning.

/usr/bin/sed: -e expression #1, char 65: unknown option to `s’

!!! CND0230W: IPV6 enabled
!!! CND0240E: knetworkmanager for network configuration enabled but a YAST network card configuration for wlan0,eth0 exist

— Go to Fehlermeldungen/Errormessages | collectNWData.sh Fehlermeldungen to get more detailed instructions
— about the error/warning messages and how to fix the problems on your own.

— If you are unsuccessful then place the contents of file collectNWData.txt in the net
— (see Webseiten für Text- und Bilderuploads/Websites for text and image uploads | collectNWData.sh for links)
— and then paste the nopaste link on your favorite Linux forum.

Still pretty confused. I’m gonna try an disable IPV6.

!!! CND0230W: IPV6 enabled
!!! CND0240E: knetworkmanager for network configuration enabled but a YAST network card configuration for wlan0,eth0 exist

Go to Fehlermeldungen/Errormessages | collectNWData.sh Fehlermeldungen to get more detailed instructions
— about the error/warning messages and how to fix the problems on your own.

so s7mk … how’s it coming along out there?

I think Axel was pointing out to you in his gentle way that the script that you ran …

… pointed you to answers …

CND0230W: IPV6 enabled

Go to Fehlermeldungen/Errormessages | collectNWData.sh Fehlermeldungen to get more detailed instructions
— about the error/warning messages and how to fix the problems on your own

… did you try clicking on those links, because they lead you to suggestions on what to do …

… sort of like you get on the forum …

s7mk … did you find a solution to this problem, I am experiencing the same issue, however in my case the wireless lan is via a USB stick. It obtained an IP address and I can get to the router admin page but not get to any site on the internet.

On 04/12/2010 06:36 PM, nbaweja wrote:
>
> s7mk … did you find a solution to this problem, I am experiencing the
> same issue, however in my case the wireless lan is via a USB stick. It
> obtained an IP address and I can get to the router admin page but not
> get to any site on the internet.

When you are in the above condition, please try the following and post
the results:

ping -c 5 216.83.154.106
ping -c 5 www.samba.org
/sbin/route -n
cat /etc/resolv.conf