New laptop - help needed

What about the bios? Is it the newest version? Sometimes an update might
help to fix issues with sensors or other features which can lead to
problems.
Of course I do not know if that is the case for this special model.
If you want to check it, it seems you can use the msi “live update online”
from your windows 7.
http://msi.com/service/download/

Of course it can also simply be a bug.

PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.3 | GeForce
9600 GT | 4GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | nVidia
ION | 3GB Ram

MSI Live update is a joke - it works only with 32bit systems. Anyway i updated BIOS right after I got this laptop manually - no difference.

The proprietary drivers are responsible for enabling power saving features on your HD6470M. Frequency scaling, fan control and various other internal GPU saving features. Without it you will always have poor power consumption.

Have you tried the latest 11.5 catalyst driver?

I tried, but for whatever reason this driver won’t install - saying that that videocard is not supported (the same is on Windows - only MSI-specific driver works)

Its deliberately done to make sure you only use vendor supplied drivers which may be adapted to suit the vendors hardware customizations (if any).

I guess what you have there is a Windows only Compatible Laptop.

Hello, This is Tim with Futuretech Computers. What is the set-up on the MSI i would like to know the bit version and the ram specs. This particular unit has the i-3 series processors and they are extremely touchy with Linux, I found that on the system i set up, i had to run 11.3 and did not have a fan issue. i also found the graphics issue to be a small problem. i did however solve this issue using mesa and i have to wait for a kernel update to deal with it. Acer has several laptops that have the same issue. i could run 11.2 and a earlier ati build for the graphics. I did however get the Dell vostro line to work with 11.3 and 11.4 the vostro i am running now has 11.4 on it using ati with no problems.