I’m running openSUSE 11.3 (i586) with 4.4.4 (KDE 4.4.4) “release 3”
Since updating the kernel to “Linux 126.96.36.199-0.4-desktop i686” I can’t use the Konsole. It takes forever to load and then displays an error message in red
Warning: Could not start program ‘/bin/bash’ with arguments ‘/bin/bash’.
I don’t know how to fix this. The version of bash I have installed is 4.1-8.1.
On 2010-10-18 14:36, von shtupp wrote:
> I’m running openSUSE 11.3 (i586) with 4.4.4 (KDE 4.4.4) “release 3”
> Since updating the kernel to “Linux 188.8.131.52-0.4-desktop i686” I can’t
> use the Konsole. It takes forever to load and then displays an error
> message in red
Try xterm instead.
Cheers / Saludos,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)
Maybe try logging out completely (or switch user), then logging back in as root, then attempt to open a console?
Also, immediately after generating the error message, you might try looking at the last few lines in the following, you might get lucky and get something useful
Also, FYI although I installed fresh only a few weeks ago I’m running the same kernel fully updated with automatic updates and the BASH version I’m running is v.4.7(1)-release. So, maybe a remove/install of BASH is in order (just guessing)?
Thanks Tony. I did multiple restarts before, hoping to sort it out. It didn’t, so I posted here. After receiving your reply, first thing I tried is log in as root and that worked. I log back in as the user and it works !! I don’t know why and how…nothing in messages (that’s empty) or local messages. Go figure. The latent threat of switching to xterm probably did it.
Now that I think of it, I also posted about this same behavior awhile aback in someone else’ thread but described a very tiny bit differently…
In my other post I described how I not only logged in as root but also reset the root password before logging out and back in as the regular User. If you find that simply logging in as root doesn’t work for you sometime, try my additional step which according to your description may not be always necessary.
A FYI re my experience… This happened often whenever trying to upgrade permissions (su, kdesu) over the first 3 days or so, but hasn’t happened as often recently… It still happens but since it’s so inconsistent and doesn’t leave any useful detailed error message in any log I can find, I’ve been reluctant to post any guesses or scenarios where I’ve experienced this.