New install, graphics issues, details within

Just installed 11.1 which, using its initial settings, worked okay but I’m having some graphics trouble now. When I try to use the proprietary driver it either scrambles or flickers, depending on the installation method.

Hardware info for you…
Phenom II 940 X4 Black (CPU)
GA-MA790X-DS4 (Mobo)
Sapphire Radeon HD 3650 (Which the system keeps reporting as 3670)

I tried installing with the auto-installer from the AMD website, this resulted in total display corruption.

I tried installing from the openSUSE ATI repo, this results in KDE 4.1 running veeeeerrrrrryyyyyy slowly. Flickering widgets, no usability.

The alternative radeonhd driver results in a running system, but obviously that has some drawbacks compared to a properly working proprietary driver. It worked fine under openSUSE 10.3 with KDE 3, but now that I’m trying to upgrade it doesn’t seem to want to know!

I don’t know what kind of logs and such people would like to see for this, I don’t know enough and am hoping to learn through this experience.

Help, please?

You could try Opensuse’s HOWTO:

ATI - openSUSE

I don’t use ATI - But
HCL/ATI Video Cards - openSUSE
Does not look good to me

Hmmm… not familiar with HD cards, but if you look here, then have a look at ‘Release Notes’ you will see that the ati catalyst driver supports ATI Radeon™ HD 3600 Series cards, so maybe you’re in luck.