New GNOME install, added MATE but it has no top panels to open apps with?

Just reminding people that if you’re on BTRFS, you can roll back to friday or earlier.

TSU

@nrickert:

Thanks kindly for that … .

@tsu2:

Don’t think I am “on BTRFS”?? is that the formatting that you are talking about? I’m formatted “ext4” . . . .

So, I’m back over on my multi-boot desktop and booted up in Leap 15.1 and logged into MATE session, which I don’t think I updated/upgraded since Friday, and I checked the Yast “versions” on the three packages and it is showing that I’m in the “old” “lp151.2.5” version, and it shows the “problem” packages as “alternate” . . . and running zypper it shows the three problem packages as “up for upgrading” . . . ??

Is there a way to get a message to the OpenSUSE MATE devs to let them know there is an issue with these packages and to issue a “cease and desist” order until they get a modification in the tubes??

Kind of puts a “stopper” on things until such time that this problem is “fixed” . . . in the desktop I have the working toolbar, but seemingly no “dock” on the bottom, but I’d rather not have to break the system . . . to “fix” it . . . whereas over in the laptop it is already “busted” so I could in fact, do the upgrades, and just not use MATE until some indeterminate time in the future . . . . But, if we could email the MATE team maybe it would speed the plow?? Way to do that?

Won’t help you now,
But anyone who prefers ext4 but likes the idea of a snapshot “undo” like what we have in BTRFS can install the following, I used to install this on my system and it worked great. I don’t know if it’s still an issue, at the time there was only the relatively minor issue that it would work only on your main disk, if you had a second or more disks, it wouldn’t work on those. But, on the first disk which normally holds your system file and more, it works great. It’s easy to configure what you want to be part of your snapshots and schedule when they are taken.

http://extundelete.sourceforge.net/

If anyone likes the idea of BTRFS but is installed on ext4 (Maybe an upgrade from earlier versions of LEAP or openSUSE?) there is a utility btrfs-convert which can do an in-place conversion. But beware, I don’t know that there is any way to convert back to ext if you change your mind later.

TSU

@tsu2:

Thanks for that link and info on how to change to system that can do retro . . . .

@et al:

I reported this issue on the mate-desktop >mate panel problem/bug report site on GitHub . . . may or may not speed the plow.

https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-panel/issues/1011

I have reported this as Bug 1149132 Patch openSUSE-2019-2028 broke MATE

@nrickert:

Thanks, I added a comment to the bug report . . . appreciate it.

n_s

Over on the github bug report raveit65 found there might be an issue with “python2” causing a problem for mate-menu . . . posted that data over on the bugzilla thread . . . yesterday . . . so far doesn’t look like too much has happened as far as getting a fix in the tubes for the problem???

n_s

Yes, I saw that comment.

It looks as if fixing this will be slow, perhaps because most openSUSE users don’t use MATE.

@nrickert:

Thanks for the reply . . . all I can say is “OMG” . . . . : - ) Story of my life I guess, “the road less traveled” etc, etc.

But the MATE pattern is provided in Yast . . . <whine> <sniff> <cough> <cough>

So just following up over here, surprisingly it looks like the devs got a “fix” out fairly quickly, which is great . . . on my laptop still running Leap 15.1 the fixes got me back into a MATE session, but I got some kind of “brisk menu” error . . . and the original main launch menu did not return . . . instead the panel applet I had added previously when the panel was first broken was all that was there . . . which does work to launch apps . . . but isn’t entirely a “restoration” of MATE pattern.

Over in my desktop,because I assumed it wouldn’t be until 15.2 that a fix would be in the tubes I tried to run a zypper upgrade to get 15.1 to Tumbleweed . . . followed the wiki, changed the repos . . . only “3000+” packages to upgrade . . . halfway through zypper lost its way and got stuck on what might have been “dependency” problems in um like “688” packages . . . had to abort that way.

Nuked the partition and did a fresh install of TW + XFCE as the base . . . figuring to try to add the MATE pattern in as well, install more or less went well except it didn’t get GRUB installed, possibly because of the “the EFI partition is not 256 MB, do you still want to continue to install into your tiny 200 MB EFI partition?” error . . . . Fortunately I could reboot into another linux partition and run “update-grub” . . . which doesn’t seem to be a command that zypper “understands”??

Anyway, the XFCE desktop is very good, didn’t install the Nvidia drivers . . . yet if at all . . . so I can get to a TTY . . . and at some point I’ll try to ad MATE into the mix and see if that is back again to the joys of MATE as the daily driver . . . .

n_s

Just a reminder early in this Forum thread I described how to install MATE as your only Desktop if you decide to nuke your existing and that’s what you want and no other Desktop…

TSU

@TSU:

Yep. I remembered those instructions when I got to the choice of DE window in the installer . . . I was at that time a bit “miffed” about zypper “crashing” on the online upgrade process after spending quite a bit of time gathering the packages and getting halfway through before dumping itself, etc . . . but I hadn’t played with XFCE in awhile so I thought I’d give it a run. My favorite PPC install was Xubuntu 12.04 . . . so I like XFCE. When I get a few moments to add MATE I’ll do that and see how it goes . . . never enough options . . . .