-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.12 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkuf0i8ACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVk75wCfb/VUeMPmqIgzI52jPEK52jp6
jhwAn2pyXm/3SZcuVnkU6ir355K+0u8q
=2bjX
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

We’ll discuss it in our admin/mod area

But please folks. If you leave comments on this it will be appreciated, it’s your forum, so tell us how you feel.

Maybe it would be a good thing if you created a poll on the forums, with a clear title, i.e. including “security” in the title.

I would also suggest a little search routine for that subforum, searching for the strings “antivirus”, “personal firewall” and other snake-oil c.r.a.p, linking the respective threads directly to /dev/null.

Akoellh wrote:
> linking the respective threads directly to /dev/null.

+1000

palladium

I’m concerned that there are 30 top-level entries (forums) on the home page, and growing. What would you guys do to reduce that or to keep the numbers finite?

Oh I see the suggestion is subforum, where would you put it?

The problem I have with this suggestion is many users with security questions will just ignore a new area.

Case in point follows: This thread is a forum suggestion, and it is posted in the WRONG area. Why? Because the original poster could not be bothered to check to see if there was a suggestion area.

We do have a suggestion area, here:
Forums Comments/Suggestions - openSUSE Forums

Users with security issues will be the same as the original poster. They can not be bothered to search for a security area, and they will post in the wrong area, and hence such a new area will accomplish nothing.

The original posters 1st post makes the point (that such a new area will be ignored). Is there any point in saying any more?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I would put it as a subforum of the internet forum, but is only a suggestion

VampirD

Microsoft Windows is like air conditioning
Stops working when you open a window.

iEYEARECAAYFAkugwqkACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVk3+wCeLKOTm8J+P/BiT0kFfYsfk9rZ
CLoAoMNaT6DpKl/5krezaw5HwLc91kHB
=kq1v

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Sorry, I use Seamonkey to post on the forum and I don’t add all areas
:(, but the user that use the web forum can see it easily

VampirD

Microsoft Windows is like air conditioning
Stops working when you open a window.

iEYEARECAAYFAkugw4AACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVlNWgCfWqLN91dqM2KFHJzABmKZwZTv
sGIAnjoSsdfcNZRW1PWUFYPIfbWLNmyl
=8gw6

swerdna wrote:
> What would you guys do to reduce that or to keep the
> numbers finite?

maybe i misunderstood, but i thought Akoellh and i were both voting to
support the previously made decision to NOT have any of these forums:

security
anti-virus
personal-firewall
disk-defragger
internet-turbocharger
ultimate-distro-upgrader-Pro
etc

palladium

VampirD wrote:
> Sorry, I use Seamonkey to post on the forum and I don’t add all areas
> :(, but the user that use the web forum can see it easily

and, the user of Thunderbird can see it easily also…just have to
take a moment to click though all the offerings on the listed on the
dialog at Manage Newsgroup Subscriptions > Subscribe > Select the
newsgroups to subscribe to

search the suggestion forum and you will find previous discussions
whether we should have a security forum, or not…i think it was
decided a couple of times…maybe…

palladium

I share the same view.

There may come a day when security issues loom much larger for desktop Linux users - but IMHO its not THIS day. :\

Well, the suggestion to put it as a subforum into networking proves another point.

There is no suitable place for such a _sub_forum, or what about all security issues which are not network related (and there are quite a few of them)?

So one would have to

a) add subforums to Applications, Networking, etc.

or

b) create an extra “Security”-forum (with its own subfora, well, why not?)

People who really care about posting into the correct section, will post their security-related questions in the correct subforum (i.e. Networking if it is also network-related), people who don’t care about writing good postings (which includes choosing a good section for it), will put their questions anywhere, no matter how many subfora you have (or even, “the more subfora you have”).

The only “advantage” (at least to me) of many subfora is, you get a pretty good idea how thorough a person will be in handling their problem, if they are sloppy to choose a suitable forum, they most likely did not search it before posting, will be as sloppy when getting help suggestions and by that are automatically candidates to be ignored, as it is not worth any effort (in most of the cases).

I agree with that same view as clearly expressed by others so far, and with oldcpu’s comment above i.e. the justification for a Security forum is not well founded…

Although the arguments about where to place a “security” sub-forum have been made in some detail, they are somewhat academic (IMO). Assuming home use is the major share of the openSUSE take-up, I think the main security exposure if there is one, would be related to networking issues. However I can well understand that members providing specialized technical support in a networking help forum wouldn’t welcome the distraction to be placed there. Those security issues that are relevant to a networking thread can be dealt with “on the fly” in the normal posting. Just my view ;).