New feeling on Linux-Desktops

Dear Forum,

I read on Linux-community that Mark Shuttleworth,
founder of Ubuntu wanted a new look and feel for
Linux Desktops.

I thought about that and came to an idea to make something completely different to normal desktops this time.

Why shouldn’t make a complete 3D-Desktop that is like the inside of a room? With a document shelf for filebrowsing a globe for internet and all that stuff. It wouldnt be that hard to doo that.
Especially cuz we have the great oppurtunity to use things like blender for it.

Maybe i should make a quik simple Animation to may have a preview on that…

If someone from Novell reads this. U can contact me all the time i would be extremely interested in working for u guys!

Best regards

Andreas Marschke.

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 11:36 +0000, andreasmarschke wrote:
> Dear Forum,
>
> I read on Linux-community that Mark Shuttleworth,
> founder of Ubuntu wanted a new look and feel for
> Linux Desktops.
>
> I thought about that and came to an idea to make something completely
> different to normal desktops this time.
>
> Why shouldn’t make a complete 3D-Desktop that is like the inside of a
> room? With a document shelf for filebrowsing a globe for internet and
> all that stuff. It wouldnt be that hard to doo that.
> Especially cuz we have the great oppurtunity to use things like blender
> for it.
>
> Maybe i should make a quik simple Animation to may have a preview on
> that…
>
> If someone from Novell reads this. U can contact me all the time i
> would be extremely interested in working for u guys!

Well… certainly this has been tried before (remember Bob?).

You have to be careful with abstractions. Sometimes people don’t
need or want a “comfortably familiar” i/f. Consider a virtual
desktop where you pick up a virtual pencil and scribble what you
want to write instead of typing. Suddenly the i/f degrades into
something worse then the original.

So… if it matters, one vote NO, to the idea of virtual reality
workspaces.

In fact, I’d argue that we tend to put most i/fs into a box BECAUSE
we think about i/f abstractions in physical terms. IMHO, need
outside of the box thinking. Not… “oh, that’s a folder and folders
contain files”… but something more out of the box.

Taking an i/f to being more usable means (probably) creating things
for which there isn’t (nor could there ever be) and equivalent
in the real world in which we live.

Just my opinion.

> Just my opinion.
Microstar shipped a similar interface with some motherboards
in the mid -late 90’s. It was a disk you could load into windows
to create a 3-d space. You could walk around and view things.
Yes it is cool…but soooooo inefficient. Think about it, just to look
at a file you have to virtually walk to the file cabinet, then to print
virtually walk to a printer. In essence it recreates the inefficiencies of
the traditional office that computers replaced.

It’s neat as a novelty but not really practical.

If you are interested in pursuing it, scroll down near the bottom 1/4 of
this page and you can see some more info on the MSI 3-D Desktop. You can
probably dig up a copy somewhere.

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=900&maincat_no=130

MY idea was to fix the personin the middel of the room.
so he can make oonly a 360° spin in that room.
In the room i meant to have lil cuter 3D objects as like the KDE Dragon or a Globe.
So eg u select the globe a window appears infront of u and show up the gui of Firefox and if u want to minimize it u throw it in any corner of the room u want
Its not mentioned in MY idea to really replicate the reallity which was a pretty stupid idea to interpret it like this.
U just wont have the 2D icons on ur desktop any mor instead of this u got a room where u can go around lookin at ur clock on the shelf or ur dashboard to check out ur recent pc-performance. rotfl! lol!

Maybe a working compiz would give a new look and feel.
If the UI constantly crashes, it is of little use no matter how clever. :wink:

My idea was just to do like there is a reality but stay applicational in normal computer spheres
So its just like a furthermore step for eg compiz towards virtual real desktop environmentals

> Its not mentioned in MY idea to really replicate the reallity which was
> a pretty stupid idea to interpret it like this.

Thanks for calling me stupid…genius.

> U just wont have the 2D icons on ur desktop any mor instead of this u
> got a room where u can go around lookin at ur clock on the shelf or ur
> dashboard to check out ur recent pc-performance. rotfl! lol!

If you bothered to check the MSI product you would find out this is pretty
much how it worked. except that you could also walk around in the
environment. You idea is simply a trimmed down version placing the camera
at a static point.