New Factory Officially Released

Here is the link:

https://news.opensuse.org/2014/07/29/factory-rolling-release/

As per the other thread, if the new Factory is stable enough, I suspect Tumbleweed will disappear.

whoa now is factory
is this mean factory now for user not only for tester?
is it the right time to change from tumbleweed to factory?
i dont want get system failure:(

This is the “new” Factory, it ***could ***be usable, I haven’t tested it though. Basically, the packages are less raw, i.e. straight from git>>rpm>>you, and tested that they will compile and that the various RPMs will build.

But Tumbeweed IS NOT Factory, it is Tumbleweed. So far as I know, there are no firm plans to replace Tumbleweed.

Also, you can have a “pseudo” Tumbleweed with e.g. Kernel Stable and KDE stable repositories, with perhaps some other repositories added. (This is how my son’s machine is set up…)

i’m already use tumbleweed and i like it
tumbleweed use opensuse current stable realese as base
but sometimes annoy me when some packages make almost all packages downgraded:(
and i need libreoffice writer 4.2 or newer for ruler snapping;)
so maybe i will try factory
i hope there is no problem when upgrading

The downgrades are almost always nominal, as versions depend on the repository and are not absolute.

sorry, but what do you mean with “nominal”? am I to take that literally i.e. the packages are not replaced with backversions?

I mean that it is possible for a “lower” version of a package to be a more recent version of that package then a “higher” version of a package, because versioning is specific to the repository and not across repositories. So if repository “A” has version 1.1.1.2 of a package, it may or may not be newer than repository “B” version 1.1.1.1.

Oh, okay, I get it. But back to the main topic, I tried switching to Factory and it trashed my desktop settings along with other things… basically my computer became unusable, why I don;t know, I went back to the Tumbleweed repos and "zypper dup"ped and everything was back to normal again. So, just to be sure, I changed the repos back to the factory ones, zypper dup again and BAM! my desktop and graphical settings were all over the place. I checked that the repos were the right ones, and they were properly set as recommended at the portal. I reinstalled the video drivers and checked other settings but all to no avail. So, now I’m back using Tumbleweed and all is well.
One thing: a distribution upgrade either way, takes ages with around 2000 - 3000 packages being upgraded… I won’t try that again before I know that Factory is more stable.

If you have a slow internet connection, you are probably better off staying with the official 13.1. With either Tumbleweed or Factory, you are going to be doing frequent updates which can take a long time on a slow connection.

Factory is stable enough, in my opinion. But maybe it is not for you. If you need proprietary video drivers (as your post seems to suggest), it is going to cause you headaches. I’m using factory on systems with Intel video. I am not currently using it on a system with nVidia video, because of the extra problems that causes. I did test, and the most recent nVidia driver (304.123) seems to work with factory for my card. But it still requires action of every kernel update. So I’ll pass on that and leave that system at vanilla 13.1.

thanks for your reply, but NVIDIA drivers are no longer a problem though, nor have they been for a while now. For 3 months I have been doing kernel updates seamlessly with the same driver 331.79 provided by NVIDIA. Factory is on kernel 3.16 and that’s what I am using right now. It was plasma and KDE that seemed to be the trouble. Also, maybe the new KDE is using wayland? As for the connection being slow, daily updates keep volume to a minimum. It’s the migration from one to the other (Tumbleweed to Factory or vice versa, that takes a long time). I will try again another time, I might even do it as a full clean installation with a DVD. Probably my settings and mods are conflicting with so many newer settings brought in through full KDE upgrade with a new plasma and QT5 etc etc

In addition, Libreoffice on Factory is still a beta version 4.3, and it did not sit well on my machine. Libreoffice 4.2 is what those guys themselves recommend: this package I got from a dedicated 4.2 repo. I notice there are many beta version still in the Factory repos. Maybe Factory is stable for people who only use certain basic software packages, but I drive a lot of external audio and video devices with my machines so I don’t think I can risk the potential for instability, however small.

On 2014-08-05 19:56, johnoshock wrote:
>
> nrickert;2657765 Wrote:

>> recent nVidia driver (304.123) seems to work with factory for my card.
>> But it still requires action of every kernel update. So I’ll pass on
>> that and leave that system at vanilla 13.1.
>
> thanks for your reply, but NVIDIA drivers are no longer a problem, nor
> have they been for a while now. For 3 months I have been doing kernel
> updates seamlessly with the same driver 331.79 provided by NVIDIA.
> Factory is on kernel 3.16 and that’s what I am using right now.

Eventually, they will be a problem.

The proprietary rpm driver is simply not built for factory; if it works
now, count your blessings. When it fails, it will very probably not be
repaired.

It is possible that the .run bundle may work longer, as it is you who
builds it. But the kernel-nvidia_driver interface always breaks at some
point, when the kernel devs change things; and when it does, it needs
somebody devising a patch, or nvidia people catching up, which they do
at tortoise speed.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

Carlos,
This is so true,
folkpuddle (frequent installer of nvidia the hard way)

Yes, indeed! the same used to always happen on Tumbleweed every time a new kernel was installed, it was touch and go with getting the graphics to work.
Well, it might be time to try out the nouveau driver, as development never stands still and my grahics card ain’t exactly a new one. I must say though: I usually manage to get patches from some sources over at Arch and the developers forums for nvidia as well. The last half year, I’ve been continually moving onto the newer kernels as soon as they were considered a little stable and up till now it has gone pretty good, even with patches when they were necessary. I’m willing to take the risk for now.
Right now, its all working

Which new KDE do you mean?
KDE4 does not use or support Wayland.
For Plasma 5 it is work in progress.
But Factory does not even include a useable Wayland AFAIK (or maybe it is usable already, I don’t really know).
And at least by default, Xorg is installed/used.

Probably my settings and mods are conflicting with so many newer settings brought in through full KDE upgrade with a new plasma and QT5 etc etc

KDE4 does not have “a new plasma” (in fact Plasma is still at 4.11 and feature frozen/in “long-term support mode” there), and does not use Qt5.
And your existing KDE4 installation will not be upgraded to Plasma 5 (which is not even feature complete yet).

If you didn’t install Plasma 5 manually (which would uninstall KDE4’s plasma), you still use the Qt4 based KDE4 desktop.

But Factory contains KDE 4.13.80 at the moment, which is KDE 4.14 beta. (4.14 is at RC1 now, and will be released in 2 weeks)
So this might explain at least some of the problems you mention.

In addition, Libreoffice on Factory is still a beta version 4.3, and it did not sit well on my machine.

LO 4.3 is not a beta any more.
Factory indeed still has 4.3.0.3 (which was a pre-release), but 4.3.0.4 (the released one) is in LibreOffice:Factory for a few days already and should get to Factory soon.

Libreoffice 4.2 is what those guys themselves recommend:

Which guys?
It is true that the LibreOffice guys generally used to recommend against using a X.Y.0 release for production, but better wait for X.Y.1.

The 4.3 release announcement says this though:

This is the first release from the 4.3 branch of Libreoffice which contains new features and program enhancements. As such the version is stable and is suitable for all users.

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/release-notes/

On 2014-07-29 22:16, Thiudans wrote:
> But Tumbeweed IS NOT Factory, it is Tumbleweed. So far as I know, there
> are no firm plans to replace Tumbleweed.

You should read again a post here with subject “The future of Tumbleweed”.

Basically: Tumbleweed is made by a single person, and this person said
he is no longer using Tumbleweed in his own machines. He is still
building it, but… I’m afraid TW will die sooner or later.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

thanks for your thorough, detailed and informative response. As you can see from my later posts, I am running on Factory for the past week and the experience is good, in fact, very good. No hiccups and everything stable and functioning like it should. Sometimes a minor tweak needed after a “zypper dup” (like disabling ipv6 to get zypper - or rather the network - working again) but otherwise everything is smooth and stable. Only thing is I use a lot of external audio and video devices along with editing software on my machine, some of which is not available on the standard repos, but no conflicts, in fact everything works quicker and better than ever with less resource hogging; proof, once again, that KDE is a good and efficient desktop for AV professionals. Actually, taking the risk of moving to Factory has provided me with better solutions than staying “safe”. The new kernel and KDE are both better than the old.
NVIDIA: all my computers and laptops have nvidia cards. They’re all using the latest proprietary drivers. I don’t have issues reinstalling them after new kernels are available. However, I want to try the nouveau drivers once again and move over to them eventually, but in the past these drivers caused me problems.