New Booting Problem after Update?

No doubt I shall be told I should know the answer but here goes. I have a new 64 bit machine and which has been set up with multiple boot using grub either to openSUSE 13.1 or Windoze 7. (I need the latter for accounting and am still on virtual machine learning curve. )

I have been using this machine in non critical applications with both OSs and on each occasion it has booted without any problem and I have been able to select the OS from the grub menu. There has been the odd update proposed, which I have accepted for both OSs from time to time but I couldn’t give details as now when I try and start and after the BIOS tests have run I just get to a screen with text “GRUB” and then nothing. In other words the booting process stalls.

I am not sure if this might be an hardware issue (two drives are installed) or a corruption of booting configuration. My question is what is safest way to begin investigation please.

On 2014-02-18, Budgie2 <Budgie2@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> No doubt I shall be told I should know the answer but here goes.

Not at all. Dual boots, especially with Windows, is not as straightforward as Distro guides tend to suggest.

> There has been the odd
> update proposed, which I have accepted for both OSs from time to time
> but I couldn’t give details

Assuming your desktop environment is KDE, did you use Apper to update. Or did you use YaST or zypper? Or something else?

> as now when I try and start and after the
> BIOS tests have run I just get to a screen with text “GRUB” and then
> nothing. In other words the booting process stalls.

Just to confirm - you see only a blank screen with the text `GRUB’ - not GRUB version specified and no boot menu?

> I am not sure if this might be an hardware issue (two drives are
> installed) or a corruption of booting configuration. My question is
> what is safest way to begin investigation please.

Do you have a CD/DVD drive? If so, can you boot into a Live KDE/GNOME version of openSUSE?

Yes I should be able to boot into a live CD/DVD but will have to burn one. Which do you suggest? I also have Linux Format DVDs if they would be helpful.

Many thanks for your help.
Budgie

try to chroot in live session and try

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg       

or maybe try to move grub to MBR potentionaly??

On 2014-02-18, Budgie2 <Budgie2@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> Yes I should be able to boot into a live CD/DVD but will have to burn
> one. Which do you suggest? I also have Linux Format DVDs if they would
> be helpful.

I don’t know what’s on the Linux Format DVDs. In the interests of gaining the support of the greatest number of forum
users here, it would probably be a good idea for you to burn at least one openSUSE 13.1 Live version.

On 2014-02-18 18:38, flymail wrote:
> On 2014-02-18, Budgie2 <Budgie2@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
>> Yes I should be able to boot into a live CD/DVD but will have to burn
>> one. Which do you suggest? I also have Linux Format DVDs if they would
>> be helpful.
>
> I don’t know what’s on the Linux Format DVDs. In the interests of gaining the support of the greatest number of forum
> users here, it would probably be a good idea for you to burn at least one openSUSE 13.1 Live version.

I would recommend the XFCE rescue image from the opensuse.org download
page. It fits a CD, but if used on a USB stick it adds persistence. It
has some different tools than the gnome/kde images which are of interest
for repair operations, but it is not installable.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

Hi and yes of course. Will do this but meanwhile I have tried the original installation (Network Install) CD and it offered a Rescue System. Once selected and if I login as root I get Rescue prompt but I have not a clue what next!!!
At least I do not seem to have an hardware fault.

Budgie2

See here, that should work from the netinstall CD’s rescue prompt as well:
https://forums.opensuse.org/content.php/128-Re-install-Grub2-from-DVD-Rescue

But please note that on 13.1 /proc and /sys are not in the fstab anymore by default, so you might have to mount them slightly differently.
Instead of:

mount /proc

run

mount -t proc proc /proc

And instead of:

mount /sys

run

mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys

…just in case this is the problem:

I have seen that happen when the Active or Boot flag gets turned off, or the MBR is overwritten with a generic one.

It may be that your Grub is installed in your root partition, and the Boot flag has been disabled.

Check, and if that is the case, set the boot flag in your SUSE root partition and see if that is the solution.

Use that Rescue option you mentioned, and when you are logged into the Rescue session as root and have the Rescue prompt, probably in a red font:

Rescue:~#

Do

fdisk -l

This will list your drives and partitions. Double-check which is the drive that you installed on to make certain you will be using the right drive and right partition when you run commands on the disk.

None of the partitions have the * under the Boot column, if no boot partition has been set. Look at your SUSE partitions, particularly root partition. If there is no Boot flag set, then:

I will pretend that your root partition is sdb1. You correct it to match your system:

Do:

parted

You will now have a prompt
(parted)

Do:

select /dev/sdb

You should get a confirmation message that the device is now selected.

Do:

set 1 boot

That is to set/reset the 1st partition’s boot flag.

It will prompt you with the line “New state?”

Do:

on

When it is confirmed, do:

quit

You will be back at the Rescue:~# prompt.

Do:

reboot

Brilliant diagnosis. That was it. several * present, one on each drive in fact but none on root partition. Did what you directed and am up and running again. Many many thanks for saving me hours of work.
Best wishes,
Budgie2

Hi and many thanks for the link and updated instructions. As suggested I first checked for boot flag and found it missing so didn’t need to get into recovery in detail but a great thread for the future in my case no doubt.
Many thanks once more,
Budgie2

Sheesh!

After reading your response, I was going to head out for coffee …

But, I couldn’t squeeze my cowboy hat onto my head after reading that!

:embarrassed: