New 11.2 Installation on 10.2 machine

I would like make a completely new installation on a computer just with Suse 10.2 on.[Just downloaded and verified the installation DVD]

What would be the best procedure?

I have taken off all my personal data and settings.

Is KDE3.5 available on Suse 11.2?

Thanks

If you have completely backed up your existing data, the best way is to check what the default installation is going to do and, as long as it is going to create fresh / and /home partitions, let it get on with it.

Otherwise go into expert mode and make sure this happens.

KDE3 is available as an additional install after you have installed KDE4.

Note that there are separate hidden folders for KDE3 and KDE4 and that 10.2 does not have the notation to distinguish these. In some cases, e.g. Kwallet, KDE4 applications can use your 10.2 files directly from the KDE4 hidden folder, In others, e.g. Kmail, you need to use the Import facility in KDE4 to use them within KDE4 or place them in the KDE3 hidden folder and only use the KDE3 version of Kmail.

Since 2 days ago, I was a very happy opensuse 10.3 user. I’m now in the middle of the “transition process” to 11.2. My upgrade path requires a little bit of manual work, but at least I’m sure I have a fallback option (in booting the old system):

• Install 11.2 on a single partition, don’t split /home partition, especially don’t mount existing /home
  • Mount old system in e.g. /old/home, /old/system etc…
  • Configure your system, desktop environment etc, by copying needed files from the old system
  • When ready, backup all
  • Switch to level 1
  • Remove/rename /old/home/youraccount to e.g. /old/home/youracc_old
  • Copy new /home/youraccount to /old/home/youraccount. Be sure to preserve file ownerships, permissions etc (use cp -ra)
  • Rename /home to e.g. /home_bkp
  • Unmount /old/home and mount it as /home
  • Switch back to level 5 (or 3, if you don’t want to start X automatically)
  • Test everything and delete the leftovers (or delete them after a few days, just to be sure)

And that’s it :slight_smile: This way, you have everything new (KDE 4.3 is really usefull, I skipped 11.0 and 11.1 just because KDE 4 wasn’t good enough), with configuration files you wanted to preserve (by copying), got rid of junk files etc.

Theoretically you could keep /home BUT the file system is ext4 in 11.2 and you really should take advantage of that and format everything that way.

So as suggested. Backup.
Fresh install. Squeaky clean!

You could add the kde3 repo in 11.2 but I would try not to. Either learn kde4 or switch to gnome.

Hi

Thanks for the reply and useful hints.

Regards

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

This sounds a bit complicated for a newbie!

Regards

Ok

Pity I so liked KDE3, might give KDE4 a go then. I really wanted too stay with Suse as my data, mail, contacts etc are all transferable to the other computers that have Suse 10.2 and Suse 11.1. In fact all desktops looked the same but I know 10.2 is not supported.

Regards