NetworkManager not working after update

After an update about 2 weeks ago, I’ve been having some sort of strange permissions problems.

I was able to get pulseaudio working again (either by disabling AppArmor or by adding my regular user to the audio group, not sure which). I, however, have been unable to control NetworkManager with my regular user regardless of being a member of all groups.

The best indication I can find of why is:

$ nm-applet

** (nm-applet:14955): WARNING **: <WARN>  applet_dbus_manager_start_service(): Could not acquire the NetworkManagerUserSettings service.
  Message: 'Connection ":1.97" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings" due to security policies in the configuration file'

Trying to run knetworkmanager doesn’t give any information; I am restricted to running knetworkmanager as root in order to connect to wireless networks (not something I’m particularly comfortable with).

If anyone could help me out with this, even if by merely helping me to troubleshoot some more, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks.

I cannot help with the network manager but some people suggest that for home networks would be better to use ifup instead of the knetwork manager and I do. As long as you setup in the network to use it this way and then setup the wireless to be start up at boot time I think you’ll be fine. Commands to startup manually would be “ifup eth0” and to bring down “ifdown eth0” where eth0 is your wireless card. “ifconfig” command as root would give the available cards and “iwconfig” would give info about wireless cards. Until you find a solution or an answer to the problem you have. I hope it helps!

I’m guessing you’ve had a d-bus upgrade? Anyway, something to start with. Have a look at

cat /etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManager.conf

Check the policy settings here for users.

I’m not sure about openSUSE 11.1, but there maybe other relevant config files as well, for example ‘/etc/dbus-1/system.d/nm-applet.conf’

Post back with output if you need help checking this.

Thank you **very **much for this info. In my case, I had to edit

/etc/dbus-1/system.d/knetworkmanager.conf

in order to get my updated system working again.

Is it just me, or is it horribly #*&@^$ broken to disable a user network configuration tool like knetworkmanager as part of an update? Shouldn’t SuSE provide the correct permissions so users can use their systems (safely)?

Apologies for the rant, but I am terrified of updating my SuSE system these days, because things break every time I do. I’ve had to hack PolicyKit in order to get simple things like USB auto-insert and power management working, now I’ve had to hack DBus to get my network running again. Geez.

I’m not sure why a few experience problems like this, and why others (usually the majority) not. I’m glad you’ve got it sorted though. :slight_smile: