Networkmanager fails on _some_ wifis (but ifup works)?

I freshly installed 11.1 64bit KDE4 on a new machine. Wireless worked, after disabling ipv6, with 3 different wireless networks. Fine.

However, it fails to connect with my own wireless at home: The networkmanager’s progress bar goes up to 100% and after a little while the grey globe appears (i.e. disconnected). There is no pop-up message.

My home wireless worked fine for 5 years and still works with my old laptop running Suse10.3. The new laptop also connects flawlessly to it under Windows Vista (but I don’t want to switch to Windows).

Furthermore, it works when I configure it using ifup via Yast. However, I use the laptop in many different places. Thus far, all worked except at home. :frowning:

I have also tried WEP instead WPA, but I did not work either.

Any ideas?**

I will probably just replace my old wireless D-Link 624+, but it seems odd that it works fine using ifup.

The new laptop’s wireless module is identified as Intel PRO/Wireless 5400 AGN [Shiloh] 3x3 Centrino 2.

STurtle wrote:
> I freshly installed 11.1 64bit KDE4 on a new machine. Wireless worked,
> after disabling ipv6, with 3 different wireless networks. Fine.
>
> However, it fails to connect with my own wireless at home: The
> networkmanager’s progress bar goes up to 100% and after a little while
> the grey globe appears (i.e. disconnected). There is no pop-up message.

If it gets to 100% but never finishes, it has authenticated and
associated, but is failing on DHCP. Is there a problem with your
Wireless Router/Access Point? What is it?

Thanks for the reply. My wireless is an old D-Link 624+ Rev.H1 with Firmware 2.09b73 from March 2006, the latest I believe.

The wireless router’s DHCP server is configured to statically assign the IP-address for the new laptop’s wireless and wired MACs, I will try and remove this configuration.

However, this workes well with my old laptop using Suse 10.3. I just added a similar setting with MAC and IP addressess altered accordingly.

Thanks! :slight_smile: Removing the new laptop’s MAC from the Router’s static DHCP Client list now allows a functioning connection. I can live with that, as I mostly access other machine’s from the new laptop anyway.

Should I file bug report with Novell’s Bugzilla?

After all, Suse10.3, Windows and 11.1’s ifup all work well with the router’s static DHCP configuration, it is only 11.1’networkmanager that causes the trouble?!

The problem reappeared slightly changed again, probably after some update:

• Home wireless works fine via IFUP.
  • Networkmanager shows progress gear for a fraction of a second, before switching to grey globe.
  • Other wireless networks work fine using Networkmanager, but not at home!
  • Home wireless works with Networkmanager for an older Laptop, also running Suse 11.1
  • New laptop and home wireless work under Vista.

Any suggestions?