NETWORK PRINTERs not working in SUSE 12.1

You originally had your Samsung URI as

http://31.28.8.159/printers
  1. If you’re trying LPD printing, you need to get the IP address and queue name right - it won’t just be ‘queue’ as you had it. It could be ‘p1’, ‘lp0’, ‘lpt1’, ‘ps’, ‘PASSTHRU’, or…

For example:

lpd://31.28.8.159/p1

Some common device URI’s are listed in Table 1 of the following guide:
Using Network Printers - Documentation - CUPS

1. It might also be worth trying to print directly via ‘socket://’ (JetDirect protocol), since most network printers support this network protocol
socket://31.28.8.159

I have seen your link regarding HP2550n. It is supported in SUSE12.1 for network printing.

Yes, HP printers are well supported. However, as hnimmo has already suggested, try printing via the ‘scoket://’ protocol, and please review this FAQ:

http://hplipopensource.com/node/216

None of them works. I feel that there is snmp discovery problem. I have included our community name in the /etc/cups/snmp.conf. snmpwalk is give output that no response: timeout.

In the file /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf we have community name and then allowed server name. I tried CUPS snmp.conf with and without server name beside community name, but none works.

I’m not familiar with CUPS SNMP configuration. If you haven’t already, read the man pages for snmp.conf

Make sure that you have no firewalls or routers blocking port 161, for SNMP communication.

I also suggest taking this issue to the CUPS forum, as you might have a better chance of gaining the attention of those who could help. (This is not an openSUSE-specific problem).

Forums - CUPS

Good luck with this.

That worked great I had been fighting with that for hours and hours. Thank you for the insight.

I am very happy that this was the exact help that you needed. I do stick with HP printers and once installed, the hplip application has worked well for me. The other suggestions are gained from many attempts of installing HP printers and then looking at any install issues that seem to come up. In any event, now that you know, try to share it with other HP printer users when you see the problem come up.

Thank You,