network partially works

Just installed 11.3. Initially I had zero web connectivity. I did the about:config routine in Firefox and turned off IPV6 and I can now browse the web via DSL.

Unfortunately, Yast can’t connect to the web and updates fail. I went into network config in Yast and turned off IPV6 but still no joy. Any ideas? Sure would appreciate hearing them.

Machine is a T61 Thinkpad. DSL modem is a Motorola unit.

On 12/10/2010 06:36 PM, eric2012 wrote:
>
> Just installed 11.3. Initially I had zero web connectivity. I did the
> about:config routine in Firefox and turned off IPV6 and I can now browse
> the web via DSL.
>
> Unfortunately, Yast can’t connect to the web and updates fail. I went
> into network config in Yast and turned off IPV6 but still no joy. Any
> ideas? Sure would appreciate hearing them.
>
> Machine is a T61 Thinkpad. DSL modem is a Motorola unit.

Does “ping 216.83.154.106” work? If that works and “ping www.samba.org” fails,
you have a DNS problem. In that case, add a line “nameserver 8.8.8.8” to
/etc/resolv.conf. Once you get connectivity and update, this problem will be fixed.

eric2012@linux-431:~> ping 216.83.154.106
PING 216.83.154.106 (216.83.154.106) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 216.83.154.106: icmp_seq=1 ttl=43 time=114 ms
64 bytes from 216.83.154.106: icmp_seq=2 ttl=43 time=114 ms
64 bytes from 216.83.154.106: icmp_seq=3 ttl=43 time=114 ms
64 bytes from 216.83.154.106: icmp_seq=4 ttl=43 time=115 ms
64 bytes from 216.83.154.106: icmp_seq=5 ttl=43 time=115 ms
64 bytes from 216.83.154.106: icmp_seq=6 ttl=43 time=115 ms
64 bytes from 216.83.154.106: icmp_seq=7 ttl=43 time=115 ms
64 bytes from 216.83.154.106: icmp_seq=8 ttl=43 time=114 ms
64 bytes from 216.83.154.106: icmp_seq=9 ttl=43 time=115 ms
64 bytes from 216.83.154.106: icmp_seq=10 ttl=43 time=114 ms
^C
— 216.83.154.106 ping statistics —
10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 8999ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 114.130/114.918/115.643/0.601 ms

eric2012@linux-431:~> ping Samba - opening windows to a wider world
PING fn.samba.org (216.83.154.106) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from fn.samba.org (216.83.154.106): icmp_seq=1 ttl=43 time=114 ms
64 bytes from fn.samba.org (216.83.154.106): icmp_seq=2 ttl=43 time=117 ms
64 bytes from fn.samba.org (216.83.154.106): icmp_seq=3 ttl=43 time=116 ms
64 bytes from fn.samba.org (216.83.154.106): icmp_seq=4 ttl=43 time=115 ms
64 bytes from fn.samba.org (216.83.154.106): icmp_seq=5 ttl=43 time=114 ms
64 bytes from fn.samba.org (216.83.154.106): icmp_seq=6 ttl=43 time=115 ms
^C
fn.samba.org ping statistics —
7 packets transmitted, 6 received, 14% packet loss, time 6006ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 114.379/115.705/117.638/1.134 ms

They both work.

Also, email does not connect either. Interestingly, if I right-click the KDE panel and select: Panel options → add widgets → get new widgets, the dialog box does connect and does download descriptions of new widgets. Strange.

On a lark, I installed 11.4 m4. The problems are the same - network DOA on powerup.

I did the same about:config routine in Firefox and I can again surf the web. I could not resolve the address for software update and right-clicking the KDE panel and selecting: Panel options → add widgets → get new widgets, the dialog box does not connect. I went into network settings and removed the checkmark for IPV6 and rebooted. I still could not connect to software update but now right-clicking the KDE panel and selecting: Panel options → add widgets → get new widgets, the dialog box **does connect **and does download descriptions of new widgets.

This is a dual boot Vista/Linux machine. Vista runs perfectly. I was running Kubuntu perfectly for a couple of years. When I upgraded to the newest V10.10 a few weeks ago, it no longer functioned normally. Been hunting for a new distro to call home.

I went into the network settings and disabled the wan connection that was getting turned on at boot. I left the eth0 config alone (DSL modem connected). Then I went in and added 8.8.8.8 to resolv.conf and the beast started working. I don’t know which of the two actions fixed it. I’m guessing the nameserver entry. I downloaded and installed Nano so it appears ok.