Network Manager won't connect to wireless connection

hello I just noticed this today, it worked fine when I first installed suse but now it doesn’t. Network Manager will scan and show the available networks alright it just wont connect…I just get Wlan Disconnected when it shouldn’t be. I don’t even “get the gear turning” on the network manager icon just nothing at all. also I did have compat wireless installed (automatically not on my own merit) and nothing worked at all till I uninstalled it now I have this problem…there wouldn’t be any dependencies from compat that would causing this would there? hope you guys are able to help.

Update:I’ve found a workaround I type kwifimanager into the terminal and I can connect that way but thats the only way I’ve found so far…clicking on network manager icon and selecting my network does absolutely nothing…as I mentioned in my first post

I installed 11.2 M3 on spare hd and had a similar experience. While a combo of NetworkManager and kwallet has worked for me every time, I had to use ifup on 11.2 to connect to my wpa-psk home network.

oh yeah I’ve heard of some people saying that kwallet fixed that problem but I wouldn’t see how not using kwallet would effect it…I’m only ever on unsecured networks

kwallet (supposedly) automatically submits the password to NetworkManager. It was tricky getting it started, but then worked perfectly. That is, until I install 11.2.

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 19:56:06 +0000, threatingbehaviour wrote:

> hello I just noticed this today, it worked fine when I first installed
> suse but now it doesn’t. Network Manager will scan and show the
> available networks alright it just wont connect…I just get Wlan
> Disconnected when it shouldn’t be.

It’s just a thought, but posting in the wireless networking support group
(opensuse.org.help.network-internet.wireless) might be a good idea.

David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu
Novell Knowledge Partner http://forums.novell.com

Please post questions in the newsgroups. No support provided via email.

ah ok thanks kwallet seemed to do the trick works fine now

Well disregard my last post I have discovered that upon signal fading and disconnecting I cant connect to my wireless connection a restart is the only thing that seems to work (I’ve tested this situation several times) but I guess this a wireless question and not one about apps so I think I’m going to take David Gersic advice and post this question in the wireless forum thanks

I’m going to have to search for an answer too, since nothing I do works with Milestone 4, including WICD.

The pre-release/beta forum might be useful too.

did you find anything yet I’ve looked and looked but the only setup I’ve found to work is ifup like you have to do with 11.2

I used to have the same problem too…it was the updates if i remmeber right…i had to disable some updates so that this wasnt affected…( i had to reinstall opeNSUSE couple of times to figure this out)…

Haven’t found an answer. I was waiting for someone here to tell me what to do :wink:

For me, WICD works everywhere and on any system, but…

After installing WICD, you’ll have to change the some settings in Yast:
First the default is to use the Networkmanager, this should be changed to Traditional (using ifup). Can be done through Yast - Network Devices - Network Settings - Global options.
Second is, that you have to set the activation of the network devices to ‘on cable connection’ for eth0, to ‘manually’ for wireless devices.
Third (changed recently) is that you have to start WICD at boot. Start Yast - System - Runlevel, make wicd start in runlevels 2, 3 and 5. On some systems WICD says ‘failed’ on boot, yet it works like it should.

Hope this help you connecting…

An update has been posted to Build Service according to https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=525980 and https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=528083

It’s just that it’ll probably take a while until the build queue reaches it (could be in a few minutes, could be in a week – who knows?).

In the meantime, GNOME’s nm-applet works really well.