Network Manager - Icon meanings

I don’t know if something’s not right or everyone knows but me. But on the network manager for connecting to a wireless network, it lists three boxes at the top under Networks. Between the first two is a symbol. Looks like sound waves to me. After the last box is a symbol that looks like a paper airplane. If I hover the mouse over them, there is no help text. Only because I have seen windows connections I assume the paper airplane means airplane-mode. Never was sure what that does, but it disconnects the connection. Guess it’s for riding in airplanes, to make the stewardess’ happy. One of the other boxes also disconnects. Not sure what the other does. So if someone could tell me, that would be great!

I have found similar things elsewhere. If one already knows, it all makes sense. But what about those who are new to something? I’d like to suggest that there’s some sort of text to go with the buttons.

With qinternet, I could show the data rate and move and shrink the window to the side of the screen. Without installing old stuff or no longer really supported, is there something so I can see the network activity other than pinning the network manager blocky window where it pops up?

Yes, that’s “airplane mode”.

One of the other boxes also disconnects. Not sure what the other does. So if someone could tell me, that would be great!

Enable/disable wireless connections.

The third one is for opening the connection editor.

Btw, those are exactly the same 3 checkboxes that already were there in 13.2’s KDE4.

Without installing old stuff or no longer really supported, is there something so I can see the network activity other than pinning the network manager blocky window where it pops up?

Install and run knemo e.g.

Unfortunately, I never ran 13.2 much. And when I did, I had used qinternet. So I’m only now getting used to NetworkManager. The center box doesn’t open anything. Maybe it shows ethernet connections?

But knemo did the trick! As good as the dialup monitor. :slight_smile: But how would I have found that? The name means nothing to me if I didn’t know what it did. I now went to kde.org and showed Internet applications. There it was, but listed as a network monitor. Without knowing, how would I know I wanted that. I wanted to see wireless activity.

Not sure what I’m asking other than I just feel there’s a bunch of programs out there (or even residing on my system!) that would be very helpful to me that I don’t know about. Now that I don’t have dialup anymore, I suppose I could go through each program on kde.org and click on them and see if it’s useful. Clicking on knemo would have shown the traffic plot I wanted, but I doubt I would have thought it would be what I wanted for wireless activity. Especially since the example screen showed eth1 traffic. Maybe this is just my specific ignorance other than that of others.

And this could be that qinternet did all that for me for dialup and now there are other things out there. Kind of like how Microsoft takes care of your hard disk for you and then I find that you can actually partition it and think of all I missed out on, and lost data on, because I had never come across the concept before.

Maybe I’m looking for something that lists the most useful programs a Linux user shouldn’t be without and what they’re used for.