Network Manager crash during edit connections

Every single time I enter the network manager to edit connections is crashes on exit. I am running opensuse on an Asus eee PC 1000HE with an Atheros network card. The crash report follows :

Distribution: openSUSE 11.2 (i586)
Gnome Release: 2.28.2 (null) (SUSE)
BugBuddy Version: 2.28.0

System: Linux 2.6.31.12-0.2-default #1 SMP 2010-03-16 21:25:39 +0100 i686
X Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
X Vendor Release: 10605000
Selinux: No
Accessibility: Disabled
GTK+ Theme: Sonar
Icon Theme: Gilouche
GTK+ Modules: canberra-gtk-module, gnomebreakpad

Memory status: size: 0 vsize: 0 resident: 0 share: 0 rss: 0 rss_rlim: 0
CPU usage: start_time: 0 rtime: 0 utime: 0 stime: 0 cutime:0 cstime: 0 timeout: 0 it_real_value: 0 frequency: 0

----------- .xsession-errors (481 sec old) ---------------------
** (nm-applet:2302): WARNING **: Invalid connection: ‘NMSettingConnection’ / ‘uuid’ invalid: 2
** (nm-applet:2302): WARNING **: Invalid connection: ‘NMSettingConnection’ / ‘uuid’ invalid: 2
(nm-connection-editor:6152): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from NMConnectionEditor' to GtkWindow’
** (nm-applet:2302): WARNING **: nma_gconf_connection_changed: Invalid connection /system/networking/connections/1: ‘NMSettingWireless’ / ‘ssid’ invalid: 2

As an extra point. I wish I could disconnect individual networks instead of just disabling networking to disconnect. I think the newer version of the network manager does this.

Solved.
I installed Madwifi drivers and wicd. I think the crucial part was switching to wicd. It is stable and gives me a better network strength. My only complaint is that it doesn’t recognise 2 WLAN cards at once (I like to use an external card to increase my range) but I can live with changing the settings when necessary.

The installation was a bit of a fiddle, but then I am finding that opensuse generally tries to make workarounds more awkward than ubuntu (which I used until 5 days ago).

A this point I beg to ask: why is Network Manager pre-installed on openSuse? And why did I experience this instability in a distro that prides itself on its stability?

Maurice
(disillusioned opensuse user)

I’ve seen a lot of threads complaining about Network manager.The interesting point about Network Manager: It works much better on other Distros. Would be interesting to know why …

On 03/26/2010 03:06 PM, framp wrote:
>
> I’ve seen a lot of threads complaining about Network manager.The
> interesting point about Network Manager: It works much better on other
> Distros. Would be interesting to know why …

If you look at the home organization for NM, one might expect it to work better
with Gnome desktops that for KDE. Thus it might work better on Ubuntu than on
openSUSE.

A major problem was the routing bug in the version that came with 11.2. That one
was introduced at openSUSE. It happened late in the release cycle and was
completely missed by me as I had switched to upgrading as opposed to installing
by then. I won’t make that mistake with 11.3.

A second problem has been the inability of kNM to transfer a network secret from
the pop-up back to kwallet. I think that is now fixed. That was frustrating to
users.

The other thing has been bad press. Everything that goes wrong with setting up a
network connection gets blamed on NM, even if it is missing firmware. Once the
negative reports are posted, they are read and believed.