Netgear wg311 v3 installation help

I am new to Linux only just installed Opensuse for the first time yesterday. I am computer savy when it comes to windows but I thought it was time to make a change.

Anyway my problem is that Opensuse did not install the driver correctly for my Netgear wg311 V3 and I would like some help with this. I have tried to google the answer but any answers I find are to complex for me to understand at this stage being new to linux. What I did find suggested something about using a ndiswrapper and the windows xp driver. At the moment I am connected via ethernet but this is a pain running cable through my lounge room. Also my sound doesnt seem to be working but maybe thats better left for another topic.

Just remember I am a linux n00b.
Thanks for everyones help in advance.

Also it says this about the device. Not sure if it helps or not. If you need more info just ask and I will try my best to get it for you.

88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless (Not connected)
BusID : 0000:03:02.0

Unable to configure the network card because the kernel device (eth0, wlan0) is not present. This is mostly caused by missing firmware (for wlan devices). See dmesg output for details.

you will need to use NDIS Wrapper and the windows drivers

here is an openSuse howto

Ndiswrapper howto - openSUSE

Thanks I will try what you suggested. I will post back if I have any issues.

When I start Network settings in Yast2 I get this message pop up each time.

There is a ndiswrapper configuration detected.
But the kernel module was not modprobed.
Do you want to modprobe ndiswrapper.

Yes or No

I select yes but after I restart my pc and go back into Network settings I get the same prompt.
Is this supposed to happen or am I doing something wrong?

grizzlywright wrote:
> When I start Network settings in Yast2 I get this message pop up each
> time.
>
> There is a ndiswrapper configuration detected.
> But the kernel module was not modprobed.
> Do you want to modprobe ndiswrapper.
>
> Yes or No
>
> I select yes but after I restart my pc and go back into Network
> settings I get the same prompt.
> Is this supposed to happen or am I doing something wrong?

With YaST => System => /etc/sysconfig Editor, open System and Kernel. Then add ndiswrapper
to the MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT entry.

Larry

Thanks Larry I dont have that popping up now when I go into network connections.

For some reason though when I start up Opensuse I have to click on network connections and then select my wireless card and click edit but not make any changes and then click save and wait for it to exit out before I am able to browse the internet. is there something I have not done correctly or is this just one of the downsides of having to use a windows 2000 driver?

Thanks

When you edit the connection, is “Autoconnect” checked?

Larry

I cant find auto connect anywhere after I click on edit.When I click ok though and it exits and saves changes it takes about a minute on activate services, not sure if that helps or means anything.

What I have worked out is that when I am logged on as root the interent connection is working straight away, but when logged on under myself instead of root I have to click edit on my wireless card and click ok only then after that do am I able to browse the internet.
Not sure how to resolve this issue.

i have the same device, and it was working perfectly with ndiswrapper.
NOW, after updating the kernel yesterday I can’t load ndiswrapper anymore: “FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found”

anybody can help???

CapoeiraES wrote:
> i have the same device, and it was working perfectly with ndiswrapper.
> NOW, after updating the kernel yesterday I can’t load ndiswrapper
> anymore: “FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found”
>
> anybody can help???

Whenever you make a kernel change, ALL out of kernel drivers such as
ndiswrapper MUST be rebuilt. Obviously, the kernel update did not
include the new version of ndiswrapper. Try refreshing the ndiswrapper
package. If that doesn’t work, then you will have to recompile from
source.

Larry

yea, that’s what i thought. i downgraded the kernel again and will wait for a ndiswrapper update.
thank-you