Needed: CANON Pixma MG5220 Printer Driver For Opensuse 11.4 64bit

I run Opensuse 11.4 64bit and I read a post about this printer and went to the link given: MG5200 series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 3.40 for Linux (rpm Packagearchive) But at the end of the document, it says that the driver is for openSUSE 11.2(32bit/64bit)
Aren’t we not supposed to use software that was made for older versions of this OS?

I have CUPS 1.4.6 and gutenprint-5.2.7-33.3.x86_64.rpm on my system (I just updated gutenprint today, Feb. 17, 2012).
These are the packages I installed:
gutenprint-5.2.7-33.3.x86_64.rpm
gutenprint-gimpplugin-5.2.7-33.3.x86_64.rpm
gutenprint-devel-5.2.7-33.3.x86_64.rpm

Which I got from here: software.opensuse.org: Search Results

After installing, I did:

/etc/init.d/cups restart

and I added the new printer (through Cups and used the driver for the Pixma MG5200, which is thought might be a close match) then I set Gimp up for it.

But Gimp does not print anything, neither does LibreOffice and the test page from within Cups does not print either.

Adding the new printer, as I did, through the Cups interface rather than YaST – would that have made any difference?

Aren’t we not supposed to use software that was made for older versions of this OS?

In general that is true, but it depends a lot on the libraries that are required by a given package. Canon support for Linux is weak, so often the packages are outdated, but that isn’t always a problem (when using with recent OS and CUPS versions). I downloaded and installed the RPM’s without issue (openSUSE 11.4, 64-bit), so you should be ok to use them. (The package manager didn’t complain, and that is a good sign).

Adding the new printer, as I did, through the Cups interface rather than YaST – would that have made any difference?

I always use the CUPs web interface to configure my printers.

Thanks.
Then I wonder why nothing prints? The printer says it’s busy doing something (I can’t remember the exact wording) but nothing prints, not even a test page.

Did you install using the install.sh script (included with the tarball)? Can you confirm that you have the cnijfilter-common and cnijfilter-mg5200series RPMs installed?

# rpm -qa |grep cnij
cnijfilter-common-3.40-1.x86_64
cnijfilter-mg5200series-3.40-1.x86_64

Did you try configuring via your browser?

http://localhost:631/admin

I had not tried installing that one, I was trying it through Gutenprint.
I’ll try that one now then.

Ah, I see. I thought you had tried to install the Canon proprietary drivers as well. I can’t promise they’ll work any better than the open source gutenprint drivers. I’ve never owned a Canon printer, (and never will), so I can’t actually test the Canon drivers. Good luck with this.

That worked!!!
The real test will come later when I have to print a 2 sided document or even a document in landscape mode! (In the near future, I’m going to have to print a PDF in that mode).

Great result!

The real test will come later when I have to print a 2 sided document or even a document in landscape mode! (In the near future, I’m going to have to print a PDF in that mode).

Keep us posted. :slight_smile:

Thank you gymnart

You’ve really helped us to make this thread. Recently I found some files that might be useful to users of Canon Pixma MG5220.

https://canonpixmadriver.com/2016/09/21/canon-pixma-mg5220-installation-driver-software/

That is it.
Regards