need to configure Brightness and Lock

When I open System Settings > Brightness and Lock I get the option to “Turn screen off when inactive for…”
The maximum time given is one hour. In Ubuntu and Mint I had the option “Never”. That is what I need.
I need to find out how to access that config and set it to “Never”, since the GUI is limited.
Does anyone know where that config is hiding?

I just installed opensuse 12.1rc.
When I open System Settings > Brightness and Lock I get the option to “Turn screen off when inactive for…”
The maximum time given is one hour. In Ubuntu and Mint I had the option “Never”. That is what I need.
I need to find out how to access that config and set it to “Never”, since the GUI is limited.
Does anyone know where that config is hiding?

austintexas wrote:

>
> When I open System Settings > Brightness and Lock I get the option to
> “Turn screen off when inactive for…”
> The maximum time given is one hour. In Ubuntu and Mint I had the option
> “Never”. That is what I need.
> I need to find out how to access that config and set it to “Never”,
> since the GUI is limited.
> Does anyone know where that config is hiding?
>
>

I guess you are talking Gnome
AFAIK it’s not there
There is a app called ‘caffeine’ I think, that can help with this

You better confirm again, exactly which version of SUSE you are using, you double posted conflicting info

I merges the two threeads.

Please, do not double post austintexas. When you want to add information to your original thread, add a post to add, but do not start a new thread. You will create confusion.

That said, cxan you please check if this is true:
[QUOTEI just installed opensuse 12.1rc. ][/QUOTE]
Because this was a release candidate for 12.1 and 12.1 is released for a long time, thus the rc release is of no use any more. Those who tested it have long since upgraded to real 12.1.

And of course, we are not clairvoyant, thus we can not know if you use KDE, Gnome or one of the other desktop environments where you try to switch off the screensaver.

I sincerely apologize for the double post. I was trying to edit the original post, and didn’t do it right.
I am using gnome, and it is 12.2 rc, not 12.1
I will check out “caffeine”. Thank you.
I am also trying to see if the “resume” option in fstab can be tweaked.

Well, there is a forum for Pre-release/Beta where the testers/debuggers of non released versions hang out. And as 12.2 is not released yet, this thread should have been there.

quote “there is a forum for Pre-release/Beta where the testers/debuggers of non released versions hang out. And as 12.2 is not released yet, this thread should have been there.”
Does this mean that 12.1 gnome does not have the same configuration? Are you saying that this is 12.2 specific? If I install 12.1 I will have the “Never” option that I was looking for?

austintexas wrote:

> If I install 12.1 I will have
> the “Never” option that I was looking for?
>

No

http://software.opensuse.org/package/caffeine

You do not undestand how we are organised.

When you want to ask something about a Pre-release, you are served the best in that forum because the bulk of the people in the “production” forums will have no experience with that Beta version. It isin your own interest to start a thread in a place where you will have the best change for help isn’t it?

Also, when you do not tell correctly what version you use (as you did by incident), people will start giving you answers on the base what tehy see before the in the level you name (in this case, it is spoiled time). Which might be (not allways) complete different from what you see.

And if you do not tell what desktop you use (and this is clearly a desktop issue), again people have to spoil time to ask you. It could even be that people with thourough knowledge about your question will simply go for some more promising problem because they do not like to go through the endless asking for obvious information.

Now if you ask if a feature is available in both 12.1 and 12.2 rc2, only people with experience in both (like caf4926) can answer that. But again the bulk here do not know.

In general: please make it easier for yourself and others to post in the correct forum, with a title that drwas the attention of people with knowledge about your problem and allways give at leasst the basic information about your openSUSE environment.

Thank you, caf4926, for your answer to my question about 12.1. I actually downloaded and burnt a 12.1 CD twice from two different locations, and both CD’s failed to boot, The md5 was correct on both.
Anyway, I appreciate your answer, since I wasn’t able to find out for myself.

And, Henk van Velden, I will certainly try to follow your rules and your logic about where discussions should be posted, as far as I can understand them.