Need patitioning help for new laptop please

My new laptop will be delivered in the next few days and I am not to sure what would be the best partioning plan for my needs. The laptop will have no OS installed on delivery. The built in HDD is a 256 GB SSD and the machine has 16 GB of Ram.
Here is what I intend to do:
Version 1: install openSuse as my main OS on one partition, then have a second partition for testing the new future versions of openSuse. Both these partitions will be mounted as “/”, then follows the 3rd partition mounted as “/Media” for all of my files, a 4th partition “unallocated” and then either a “swap” partition at the end or a “Ramdisk” for swap. That is the rough idea but maybe not the best one.
Version 2: One big partition for the main OS, one smaller for testing newer versions, forget the “/Media” partition.
My current laptop is a 9 years old Sony Viao, with a 1,6 Celeron single core and 80GB HDD, running linux like a champ and the HDD is after all these years only half full, so I am very light on resources and realy dont need much HDD space. ( so yeah, 256 gigs SSD and 16 gigs Ram is a total overkill! for sure) but I got a sweet deal on this Thinkpad X230 and could not resist. So shoot me.
I am most certainly not going to run out of space so it may just complicate matters to have a too many partitions. The “unallocated space” is supposidly good for an SSD and whether I realy need a ramdisk I do not know. I am using “Dropbox” and I am not sure if one can move the dropbox folder to “/Media”, if not practically all of my files will be in “/” anyway making the “/Media” partition practically obsolete.
Anyway I am no expert and before I totally make a mess of things I thought it wiser to get some expert advice here first.
So here is me asking for advice. All help, suggestions, ideas, will be appreciated.
(yes, one more thing, I am 62 and somewhat senile - be gentle):wink:

Do not mount both root partitions. There can only be one root at a time. But having two partitions for two versions is ok just don’t mount the second one. Having a separate partition for general data is ok too. but you also should have a separate home partition. So 2 partitions about 20gig current and future root. One 8-16 gig partition for swap (you need 8 at least if you plain to hibernate.) Split the rest between data and home. Note unless you plain on large databases I’m not sure why you would need a separate data partition, home is usually where most user data is stored

With a single SSD and set for dual boot with Windows 8.1 here is what I did:

/dev/sda       Generic Boot Code in MBR
/dev/sda1      Windows 8.1 boot Partintion    Not Mounted
/dev/sda2      Main Windows Partition         Folder:/Windows
/dev/sda3      openSUSE Boot                  Folder:/
/dev/sda4      Extended Partition
/sda/sda5      SWAP Partition
/dev/sda6      openSUSE Home                  Folder:/home

Thank You,

Besides,
which bootloader do you intend to use?
Legacy GRUB?
That should do the job.

As long as Grub Legacy is a selectable option and you know what you are doing, then select it. However, Grub 2 is the default and unless you have a good reason, you should stick with the default. If you need efi booting and/or you are trying to deal with secure boot, again Grub 2 is your only choice. I suggest that sticking with Grub Legacy is like swimming upstream and in general not worth the effort. There is nothing wrong with Grub 2 and lots of help exists for working with Grub 2 if required.

I even have a bash script to help with Grub 2 you can find here: GNU Grub2 Command Listing Helper with --help & Input - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Wow! what a nice positive response to my first thread. Thank you all very much for your input, it has been very helpfull. Gogalthorp, I will take your advice on the partitioning, makes sense to me, thank you for that, and jdmcdaniel3, great bash script you have there, and great blog, worth a regular visit. Thank you all once again and have a nice day.

Happy to help and ask any more questions you have. I would post your selected partitioning for review for instance. Good luck.

Thank You,