Need NV, RADEONHD, NOUVEAU, INTEL, VESA, FBDEV graphic driver users to quickly test ...

I’m working on an update to this post: Post 14 - How to confirm graphic driver in use and I need users who are using the following graphic drivers to test the command applicable to their driver:

• nv
  • radeonhd
  • nouveau
  • vesa
  • fbdev
  • intel
    and please let me know if the “cat” command works in the example in that URL specific to the driver you have in use. Please copy and paste my examples, as the syntax is very exact, and even a ‘space’ in the wrong place, or a missing quotation, will cause it to fail.

Thanks!

Hi oldcpu, I am using the intel driver on 11.2 and 11.3 M6 it is working well,

copy and paste of the command for intel returned no output in 11.2 or 11.3 M6.

In 11.2, Checking Xorg.0.log confirms intel driver in use.

Happy to offer further info if usefull.

OK, thanks! Back to the drawing board there. :slight_smile:

Could you post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file on New - Pastie (and pass me the URL) so that I can come up with a better “cat” command for Intel ?

Here it is. #958471 - Pastie](http://pastie.org/958471)

Here’s mine for my GT120M, i.e. my laptop:

glosscomputer@LapTop:~> cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep '('II')'' 'NVIDIA
(II) NVIDIA GLX Module  195.36.24  Thu Apr 22 19:52:00 PDT 2010
(II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  195.36.24  Thu Apr 22 19:18:54 PDT 2010
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
(II) NVIDIA(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
(II) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled

And here’s the one from my server:

glosscomputer@GjLzelF:~> cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep '('II')'' 'NVIDIA
(II) NVIDIA GLX Module  195.36.15  Fri Mar 12 01:17:05 PST 2010
(II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  195.36.15  Fri Mar 12 00:38:50 PST 2010
(II) NVIDIA(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
(II) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled

Thanks! Looks like I was bitten by Intel all being in “lower case”. Please try this:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep '('II')'' 'intel

Thanks! Looks like I was bitten by Intel all being in “lower case”. Please try this:
Code:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep ‘(‘II’)’’ 'intel

This gives some output. #958484 - Pastie](http://pastie.org/958484)

edit: I meant to use code tags on the copy of that command.

I did not ask for NVIDIA because I have many PCs that use that driver. For example, here is what I get:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep '('II')'' 'NVIDIA

which gives this:

(II) NVIDIA GLX Module  195.36.24  Thu Apr 22 19:52:00 PDT 2010
(II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  195.36.24  Thu Apr 22 19:18:54 PDT 2010

Thanks!

Thats better, and it works, but its rather large. I may need to come up with something better for Intel that is not quite so big in the output department. :slight_smile:

Didn’t see that. I should stop my diagonal reading, start to miss things…:shame: :shame:

Thats better, and it works, but its rather large. I may need to come up with something better for Intel that is not quite so big in the output department.

Happy to test what you come up with.

Hi oldpcu

here the output for a radeon integrated device (ES1000 515E) on a HP G5 proliant server

#958544 - Pastie](http://pastie.org/958544)

Regards
Philippe

Thanks! That also works, but its much larger than I anticipated :slight_smile: … possibly I’m back to the drawing board again. :slight_smile:

Thanks Knurpht.

I found this example of a /var/log/Xorg.0.log for the FBDEV, so I think it should also work: http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/tegra2/Xorg.0.log

Useless Use of Cat Award

Congrats :slight_smile:

grep -E 'VESA|FBDEV|INTEL|NOUVEAU|RADEON|NV|FGLRX' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Or if you are REALLY only interested in Lines containing this “(II)” for Information, then:

grep -E 'VESA|FBDEV|INTEL|NOUVEAU|RADEON|NV|FGLRX' /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep '(II)'

There are certainly easier ways than the example above, but cat is never needed.

I’m struggling a bit with syntax. I found the following works with the proprietary ATI graphic driver:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep '(II) fglrx'

… although again the output is more than I would like: #958686 - Pastie](http://pastie.org/958686)

I think I prefer the output of

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep '(--) fglrx'

which gives:

(--) fglrx(0): Chipset: "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series" (Chipset = 0x95c4)
(--) fglrx(0): (PciSubVendor = 0x1028, PciSubDevice = 0x029f)
(--) fglrx(0): Linear framebuffer (phys) at 0xd0000000
(--) fglrx(0): MMIO registers at 0xfc000000
(--) fglrx(0): I/O port at 0x00002000
(--) fglrx(0): Video RAM: 262144 kByte, Type: DDR2
(--) fglrx(0): Using per-process page tables (PPPT) as GART.

but I’m not certain how conclusive that might be. I’m thinking the (–) lines may not indicate the driver loading is successfull, but I think the (II) lines will indicate successful driver load. In truth, I really don’t know.

No, that’s why it would make much more sense not to grep for certain prefixes like “II” or “–” or whatever.

I’m not sure if it would be of any real help if things go wrong because you will be missing all the lines in the log when a driver can not be loaded.

On the contratry, it would make sense to explicitly search (in a second command) for Warnings an errors.

This command is found in every good troubleshooting post for graphics drivers (no, I did not read the whole thing, so if it is already in there, forget this, if not, add it).

grep -E 'EE|WW' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

And BTW, have a look at man grep and the “-i” option, might be helpful here (fglrx vs. NVIDIA etc.)