Need help with Nvidia optimus!

Hello dear openSUSE users,

I just loaded 13.1 on my notebook and everything is working well but my laptops GPU. I´m from Ubuntu 14.04 which has Nvidia prime working out of the box.
My laptop has an Nvidia GT 740m and Intel graphics 4000.
The fan of my laptop is very loud and my laptop produces a lot of heat, which probably mean that the Nvidia GPU is doing all the graphical work.
I installed the Nvidia drivers from the opensuse 1-click website, but after I´ve installed it I cannot open the Nvidia X server settings as it is telling me that I don´t have an nvidia driver…

I really don´t know how to get the whole Optimus thing working. I cannot work like this with my laptop heating up so quick.

Hopefully someone can help me!

No. On an Optimus system, the Intel chip is normally used.
But the nvidia chip is running and taking power as welle even if not used.

I installed the Nvidia drivers from the opensuse 1-click website, but after I´ve installed it I cannot open the Nvidia X server settings as it is telling me that I don´t have an nvidia driver…

The nvidia driver does not support Optimus systems.
Please uninstall it again!
It will even break the Intel driver (and all other Mesa drivers, including the software renderer).

I really don´t know how to get the whole Optimus thing working. I cannot work like this with my laptop heating up so quick.

Hopefully someone can help me!

See here: http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee

Personally I don’t have any experience with Optimus systems though.

You should of course also be able to update the kernel (maybe Xorg as well?) and use PRIME on openSUSE…
Updated versions can be found on OBS.
But better try Bumblebee first I’d say.

from kernel 3.13.xxx, I don’t remember exactly the version, only intel driver is loaded at boot making the nvidia not working
if you don’t need the nvidia like me this can be a solution, update the kernel with the stable repo

I needed to update the kernel also for make my card reader working, it happens from 3.14.xxx