Need help with graphics problem

Hi all,
This is a new system, running openSUSE 12.3 with KDE4 only - no windblows.
CPU (APU): AMD A4 5300 w/ Radeon HD 7480D graphics chip
MB: F2A85-V Pro

The system is working very well, aside from a glitch with the graphics. I’ve done some reading here on the forums and the term ‘tearing’ keeps coming up. What is tearing?

My problem is… hard to describe, so please bear with me. There are geometric shapes that superimpose on just about everything - Firefox, videos in VLC player, videos in the default video player (sorry, don’t know the name), etc. In other words, it doesn’t seem to favor any one application. If I scroll the page until the anomaly is out of frame then scroll back, the anomaly is gone. It will, however, return.

Any idea what could cause this?

Thanks for any help,
Vince

Have you installed the ATI driver?

caf,
No, I haven’t. I was under the impression that it was better to use the native linux drivers. If this is false, where do I find the recommended driver? And how do I go about installing it?
Thanks in advance,
Vince

There is a guide page here
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx

caf,
As suggested, I updated the driver. Unfortunately, now when I attempt to watch a video my system freezes. Would you recommend removing the driver and installing the old one, or…? And if so, how do I go about that?
Thanks,
Vince

I don’t have ATI, never have.

What are you using to play videos?
What about the geometric shapes? Are they still there?

Have you done this?
https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/caf4926/opensuse-12-3-multi-media-restricted-format-installation-guide-126/

Please install the package “Mesa-demo-x” and post the output of:

glxinfo | grep render

Wolfi,

Both Kaffeine and VLC player freeze the system when trying to play either FLV or WMVs. Youtube works fine.
It appears the geometric shape thing is resolved.

glxinfo | grep render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 7480D
GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_copy_image,
pancho@linux-2clr:~>

Thanks,
Vince

According to the glxinfo output, the driver is installed correctly and working.

I have to admit that I also don’t have any experience with the AMD driver.
But some questions:
Did you install the latest driver, i.e. 12.104?

Can you switch to a text console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) when the system freezes?
Do other programs also freeze the system, e.g. 3d games or fgl_glxgears?

Do you get any output if you start VLC in a terminal window?
Is there anything in /var/log/messages or /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old?
Does it still freeze if you select a different output module in VLC?

wolfi,

“Did you install the latest driver, i.e. 12.104?”

I did the 1-click install from here https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx. I’m not sure which version I loaded. How do I check?

“Can you switch to a text console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) when the system freezes?”

No. Nothing works at all and I’m forced to do a hard reboot.

“Do other programs also freeze the system, e.g. 3d games or fgl_glxgears?”

I don’t play games. Not that there’s anything wrong with games, if that’s your thing… LOL :slight_smile: And I have no idea what ‘fgl_glxgears’ is.

“Do you get any output if you start VLC in a terminal window?”

Can you walk me through this, please?

“Is there anything in /var/log/messages or /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old?”

I’m getting “no such file or directory” for both of these, and there’s a pretty good chance I’m not doing this right.

“Does it still freeze if you select a different output module in VLC?”

I don’t know what this means. Help?

Thanks for your patience,
Vince

Look in YaST->Sofware Management which version of the fglrx package is installed.
Or type this in a terminal window:

rpm -qa | grep fglrx

“Do other programs also freeze the system, e.g. 3d games or fgl_glxgears?”

I don’t play games. Not that there’s anything wrong with games, if that’s your thing… LOL :slight_smile: And I have no idea what ‘fgl_glxgears’ is.

But games are good test for the graphics card/driver…:wink:
fgl_glxgears is a 3d demo program included with the fglrx driver. Just type that in a terminal window.

“Do you get any output if you start VLC in a terminal window?”

Can you walk me through this, please?

Just start VLC in a terminal window by typing “vlc”. Be sure that the terminal window stays visible.
When the system freezes, look if there is text output in the terminal window.

“Is there anything in /var/log/messages or /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old?”

I’m getting “no such file or directory” for both of these, and there’s a pretty good chance I’m not doing this right.

When you reboot after the system freezes, open the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old in a text editor and have a look at the last lines, or type “less /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old” in a terminal window to see it.
The same for /var/log/messages but for that you have to be root. Also this also contains the current boot (and earlier ones), so might be a little confusing.

“Does it still freeze if you select a different output module in VLC?”

I don’t know what this means. Help?

Open VLC’s settings (Tools->Preferences) and click on “Video” on the left. There’s a choose for “Output”, select a different entry there and look if it still crashes now. You could also disable “Video Acceleration output” and see if that helps.

wolfi,
I’m headed off to work. I’ll follow your directions tonight.
Thanks,
Vince