Need help to run old, proprietary software

I need to use a foot pedal while doing a huge amount of transcription of interviews. I’ve been given a foot pedal designed to control the audio playback, but the software has me stumped. I’m a relative newcomer to Linux and never learned the basics. I’m hoping that some kind soul who knows a lot more than I would look over the software and tell me (1) if I can use it with 13.2 & KDE and (2) how to set it up.

Here’s a link to the download site.

So I see that ii is packaged as a tarball (archive package). Contained within that is some kind of executable. I went as far as executing it as user

./scribe

and got

Please wait while installer is initialising.....
Release Date: Fri Jan 30 00:51:58 IST 2009
Express Scribe 4.31
Password: 

but I wasn’t willing to enter my root credentials, since I don’t know anything about it’s trustworthiness, payload etc.

It’s not clear from your post as to how far you got with installing, or is your question about using it?

I doubt that will work in Linux. If it will work, you’ll need wine (software, not the drink. You’d have to install wine via YaST). Linux does have dictation software, like sphinx and pocketsphinx and others. I suspect though, that you’re not dictating, but transcribing. Linux also has software for transcription. All of the software can be installed via YaST. http://www.vagueware.com/transcription-software-for-linux/

I’m surprised. Truly, I am. I don’t blame you for not wanting to install it. Well, now the OP knows they can install it and the foot-pedal may work, or they can go with the software in my post. In particular the link I gave. Lots of good software. Either way, it’s a win win.

I did enter root creds and got to

# ./scribe

Express Scribe 4.31
/tmp/selfextract.77BPN6/bin/scribe: error while loading shared libraries: libgthread-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Installation cancelled

I’ve tried to find libgthread-2.0.so.0 but no luck. The software is hardly new (2007) so I might not be able to find that dependency, but I’d welcome suggestions

Hi
It’s in openSUSE 13.2 libgthread-2_0-0 so if you run ldd against scribe to see what/where it’s looking for it.

ldd scribe

Hi
OK, if it’s a 64bit install you need the 32bit libs… as in libgthread-2_0-0-32bit.

We’re making progress

# ./scribe

Express Scribe 4.31

(scribe:15155): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "oxygen-gtk",

(scribe:15155): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "oxygen-gtk",
^C

Hi
You need to run the installer as your user, not root.

>  ./scribe

Express Scribe 4.31

produces an authenication window asking for root’s password. When that is put in and I click OK an error message window opens on the desktop.
The headline is

Sorry - KDE su
and the text reads
Cannot execute command ’ ‘/tmp/selfextract.SL4QqX/bin/scribe -install’’

Hi
Hmm maybe a faulty download of the tarball…? I installed it fine with 32bit libs on the GNOME DE…

Try a new download and extract from the command line.

Malcom, I don’t think it’s the script. It could be, but I doubt it. Maybe this will shed a little light on the subject. http://www.kde-forum.org/artikel/20927/super-user-and-root-locked-out.html

I’ve tried a new download from a different source… same results. Very busy right now, but will try install with Gnome DE late tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Update: I finally got the software to run with Gnome, but I quickly discovered that, despite assurances to the contrary, it does not support the particular version of hardware (foot pedal) I’ve been given to complete this project, so It’s back to the drawing board.

Thank you Deano for all you efforts.

I’ve checked out the link Jonathan_R offered, but of the 8 packages offered there two turned out to be windows only, three had nothing to do with transcription and two were actually links to groups offering transcription services. The remaining one was the same package that just unusable for my situation. Nevertheless, thank you Jonathan for your efforts. I’ve checked our other similar sites and had no luck there either.

I think I’m now going to load an old copy of WinXP, likely in a VM, and try some of the many Windows based offerings that claim to specifically support this pedal.