Need help on this instructions to Tumbleweed

Hello i just recently downloaded OPENSUSE tumbleweed, before i was using linux mint, and i followed this instructions to enable my monitor to have 120hz. I Just realized that tumbleweed does things differently than linux mint. Can anyone help me convert this steps to tumbleweed?

Download the edid.zip file below and extract the edid.bin file.

[edid.zip]

Create an edid folder and move the edid.bin file to it, but change your-user-name to your actual user name:

sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/edid && sudo mv /home/your-user-name/Downloads/edid.bin /lib/firmware/edid

Open the grub file: xed admin:///etc/default/grub

Change this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash”

To this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash drm.edid_firmware=edid/edid.bin”

Update grub: sudo update-grub

Create the following initramfs hook, by creating an edid file in /etc/initramfs-tools/hooks/ and making it executable and opening it for editing:

sudo touch /etc/initramfs-tools/hooks/edid && sudo chmod +x /etc/initramfs-tools/hooks/edid && xed admin:///etc/initramfs-tools/hooks/edid

Add these lines:

#!/bin/sh
mkdir -p ${DESTDIR}/lib/firmware/edid
cp /lib/firmware/edid/edid.bin ${DESTDIR}/lib/firmware/edid

Update the initial ramdisk: sudo update-initramfs -u

Reboot. If the custom EDID is being used, then dmesg | grep edid will list something like this:

[drm] Got external EDID base block and 1 extension from “edid/edid.bin” for connector “eDP-1”

If you can’t change the refresh rate in the Display app, then use this command and then try again:
xrandr --output eDP-1 --set "max bpc" 6

Also try: xrandr --output eDP-1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Limited 16:235"

A good idea for the future would be to post a new thread with a title:

“How do I configure TW to enable 120hz for the monitor”

There might be a better, more modern way to configure for it.

1 Like

If the Tumbleweed you installed is a current version, it would be substantially newer than the Mint you were using. It might not need that special configuration to support 120Hz.

sadly I don’t see a 120hz still having installed gnome

If your Gnome is running in Wayland, try it in Xorg/X11 to make sure it doesn’t matter which you use.

Find Xorg.0.log in /var/log/ or ~/.local/share/xorg/ and use susepaste to upload it for us to look for clues why 120 isn’t happening. Also, copy and paste here using PRE tags (</> icon above input window) input/output complete with original formatting and shell prompts before and after from any X terminal running inxi -GSaz. Instead of PRE tags, ~~~ alone on lines before and after your paste will have the same effect of preserving the formatting.

Wherever in the Mint instructions you have you see xed admin://, change it to use whichever plain text editor you favor, so if nano is your favorite, xed admin:///etc/default/grub would be changed to sudo nano /etc/default/grub as normal user, or simply nano /etc/default/grub logged in as root. Replace update-grub with update-bootloader --reinit. openSUSE uses dracut -f where your instructions have update-initramfs. man dracut for its syntax. openSUSE doesn’t have file /etc/initramfs-tools/hooks/edid, and I don’t know what it does have that corresponds to it, but it may be something that must be setup via /etc/dracut/conf.d/.

Most of the edits to boot files above can be done instead via text mode yast or GUI mode yast2 in its bootloader section.