need help connecting, all steps in primer followed

hello, my name is scott and i’ve been messing with this for some time and would like some help :slight_smile:

in xp, my wlan works fine…but when i installed opensuse it detected the card but i couldn’t detect any access points with knetworkmanager…but it did find them when scanning with ‘sudo /user/sbin/iwlist scan’. does opensuse allow for 64 bit WEP encryption? the following is the output of the commands suggested in the primer for snooping:

/sbin/lspci
0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)

/sbin/lspci -n
0b:00.0 0280: 14e4:4311 (rev 01)

sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan
wlan0 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:18:3F:1C:17:89
ESSID:“Hampton”
Mode:Master
Channel:5
Frequency:2.432 GHz (Channel 5)
Quality=86/100 Signal level=-48 dBm Noise level=-68 dBm
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Extra:tsf=0000005fb9bac151

thankyou for your help :slight_smile:

so, you have the firmware/driver installed ? if so, click on network manager - new connection & fill in the blanks, with WEP,you can select between 40/128 hex/ascii/passphrase encryption. make sure it is the same as the router you are using,e.g. hex-hex,ascii-ascii,passphrase-passphrase

Andy

i did that, and the icon in the lower right corner spun for a short time then went back to the original icon without connecting.

Try changing the channel on the router,it could be interference stopping the connection, & make sure you have no typo’s

Andy

tried that, i think the problem is something else. i don’t really understand why this particular AP would work for several other computers but not this one, but i think the better indicator is that none of the many wireless routers in the area show up when i start to create a new connection in knetworkmanager…but are visible with a wlist scan…is there a command line way of configuring the connection? maybe the issue is just knetworkmanager in general.

there is a command-line way,but you will have to read the man page for it,as listing all the necessary commands here is a bit counter-productive. Open a console & type

man iwconfig 

that should give you something to work with. Also, check everything is correct via YaST-network devices-network settings. You can also change to "traditional ifup " method to see if that helps

Andy

after a little reading and some playing around, i figured out what the problem was. thankyou for your help, i really appreciate :slight_smile:

can you describe what you did to establish your connection unenlitend? It often helps others following in your wake to see what worked …

yes, i would like to know what you did, i am having same problem with 64-BIT WEP