Need for Games, please post the names of native Linux games here

Hello everyone,
Its about 6 month I’m with Linux and since 2 months with Suse. Since the day I migrated to Linux I frequently encountered a question “are games available for Linux?” When I first installed Ubuntu 6 months back I found out basic games like freecell, spider, mine sweeper and others. Its the same games that ship with Windows too. But I later found that games which I’m used to while using Windows like counter strike, Need for speed, Call of duty, EA sports cricket etc aren’t available for Linux. But the real shocking news which I found that games aren’t being developed for Linux. Later which I found out the emulator like WINE through which we could play crossplatform games. But would be the experience playing on a emulator is same as that of while playing in its native platform.

But the solution for the problem is yet to be found out. We have to consider the problems of Game developers as well. After investing billions of dollars to develop a game for multiplatform if there would be no users to purchase the game its a huge loss for the developers. And if we are to purchase any game it is against to Linux ideology. Few days back I found a site which quoted "with the increase in number of users of Linux now games can be expected to develop for Linux which can end the thirst of years" But the question is WHEN? Answer to the question is still a million dollars worth.

Apart from all these there are few interesting projects which are still under development for native Linux games. But they lack support. It is both in terms of users and funds. I found another website quoted " for the latest version of Redhat Linux we can even expect support in 2018, but would it be a case with CentOS which is free and based on Redhat? they lack support and funds". If you are a windows user, 8 years back if you would ask yourselves which is the most famous game you would have mentioned MARIO or something like that. The same question 5 years back might get answer like NEED FOR SPEED, now u would say any latest game as the new game are being released every week for windows and for mac up to certain extent. But if you ask the same question for a Linux users he still might answer the same.

Of-course there are few good games which are note worthy to mention which are native for Linux like Doom, Americas army, Urban terror, vdrift, flightgears but are they enough? We can just hope that we get a positive answer for the mysterious million dollar question in near future. 

And finally I request all the users to post links or names of native Linux games and leave a review so that Linux game seekers can be benefited. Linux is Of-course lending your hand when others in need.

Thank you

You might want to checkout playonlinux.

> I request all the users to post links or names of native Linux games

while i suppopose that the others (Windows, Mac, XBOX, Playstation,
Wii, etc etc) are for games and Linux is for work, i give you this
insight to native Linux games:

http://tinyurl.com/3y8etv4

my favorite is BZFlag <http://bzflag.org/>

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

trans123 wrote:

> And if we are to purchase any game it is against to Linux
> ideology.

Just as a side not esp. on this special topic:
It is not against the ideology of linux to have commercial software on this
platform.
There may be others who disagree with that. But a lot of people would like
to see special software even if it is not for free (good CAD solutions for
example and games). And there are such commercial applications for linux
(simply look into the linux enterprise world).
Linux and business are no contradictions in general.

The problem with games comes down to a question about money. A game which is
sold in quantities of millions (or dozens or hundreds of millions) for
windows may have in the worst case 100 times less people who buy it for
linux, so for the companies it is simply not worth the trouble to port it
just to increase the number of users by a few percent.

I myself dependent on commercial softwares like cadence, xilinx, matlab and many more. And its true that increase in few percent of Linux users doesn’t have any impact at all. As I mentioned already its enough if we support ongoing projects.

I really like SuperTuxKart. Teeworlds rocks and then there is World of Goo. Just see youtube for a review of the latter.

I probably wasted all of Sunday playing around with OpenTTD which is a clone of “Transport Tycoon Deluxe.”

That, and of course, UrbanTerror

I have a post on OMG! SUSE! that I need to finish on the 10 best free games for openSUSE, I’ll try to get that done this week :slight_smile:

8 years back if you would ask yourselves which is the most famous game you would have mentioned MARIO or something like that. The same question 5 years back might get answer like NEED FOR SPEED, now u would say any latest game as the new game are being released every week for windows and for mac up to certain extent. But if you ask the same question for a Linux users he still might answer the same.
8 years back if you would ask yourselves which is the most famous game you would have mentioned MARIO or something like that. The same question 5 years back might get answer like NEED FOR SPEED, now u would say any latest game as the new game are being released every week for windows and for mac up to certain extent. But if you ask the same question for a Linux users he still might answer the same game which he used to play 5 years back

sorry for my bad English

To be honest, gaming on Linux is a challenge. You need a lot of patience if you want to run a Windows game and use Wine. Not everything works right on the spot and i am still struggle with CSS (tip might be a font issue).
But there are of course linux games out there, but not in quality you see on a console.
I abandoned Windows and moved 100% to linux and i lost somewhat interest in Windows games overall. Especially since a lot of big games come with DRM.
Not that i hate the intension, but i don’t want a secure rom on my computer and not knowing what it does.
Linux is not a gaming platform, but it does have games and there is even a community who develops and plays games. But in my opinion the best gaming experience i get on my console. Especially now with Achievements or Trophies. Ok, i am a gaming nerd.

The mere goes like this. Game developer doen’t want to develop games on linux since no one wants to pay. But this is not entirely true. There was recently an article (citation) that proved that linux users are more likely to pay larger sums for a program than windows users.
So it is not that that nobody would pay for a good game, its just the lame excuse companies have not to serve a market.
Now with Steam and the rumored blog Phoronix the linux community got hyped up. I say hyped because there is no official announcement to the rumor that steam will be made for linux.

Linux is a largely ignored market and of course, the marketshare is small in comparison. But Paysoftware exists even in this small market segment.

The future will show us if it will change, but for the time being Windows is your gaming friend. Or if you run Linux perhaps Wine or CrossOver (pay).

QUAKE LIVE

Maybe this will help. Linux Gamers’ Game List

Freespace 2 -> FreeSpace Source Code Project - Home / News
And its multiple MODs -> Hard Light Productions

Descent: FreeSpace
FreeSpace 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who needs anything else? :wink:
3.6.12 has been just released…

Could you please provide download link. I watched videos on youtube, its really awesome.

It’ll be on RedDwarfs repo…

Index of /repositories/home:/RedDwarf:/NonFree/openSUSE_11.3

Yes, I package the binary in home:RedDwarf:NonFree and a launcher in home:RedDwarf. But notice you will need to buy the game data ($5.99 from Freespace 2 - GOG.com) and download the improved graphics from RELEASE: 3.6.12 MediaVPs - 6th of August 2010 (an installer is available from FSOInstaller.com)

IMHO, Steam coming to Apple has to be good news for potential Linux ports.

Here are some links that i have.

Free video game downloads, news, reviews, videos, patches, demos, screenshots and more at AtomicGamer
A Fast Paced First Person Shooter Game – Warsow
LinuxGames - Embrace your inner penguin
The Linux Game Tome
T R E M U L O U S :: NEWS
Alien Arena - a fast, fun and free FPS!

Here are some links that i have.

Free video game downloads, news, reviews, videos, patches, demos, screenshots and more at AtomicGamer
A Fast Paced First Person Shooter Game – Warsow
LinuxGames - Embrace your inner penguin
The Linux Game Tome
T R E M U L O U S :: NEWS
Alien Arena - a fast, fun and free FPS!

I am still skeptic about it.
For one, there was never an announcement and this would certainly hype the base. Also the games itself have to be ported to linux in order to work and that happens to a certain degree right now. Not quite right. They are ported to OSX and will not work under linux.
Don’t get me wrong. I would love to see all the games running natively on my Linux box, but i am just not convinced that that will ever happen.
So far, they only maintain Linux servers and that is it.
So even if i appear to be negative about it, i am hoping to be wrong. I have a lot of games on steam.

Cube, AssaultCube, Sauerbraten. I love them! :smiley: